49. Are You Having Fun?

3300 words on this one and maybe a double upload later!
Y'all are getting fed today, fr
xoxo

John

Derek surprised me tonight

And like yes, I'm well aware that he had a tendency to do that a lot. But this was different.

In fact, it was kinda reminded me of our time in Hawaii together, when he was chatting it up with the other contestants after his big win.

At the time I thought that he was definitely just really comfortable with them, especially after I found out about how into the food competition world the man really was... but tonight, he didn't know a single soul here besides myself and Marty, and yet he moved through each room of conversation with me by his side and a drink in hand like it was nothing.

There was some first issue set to release for a debut dystopian graphic novel that Onyx was launching in the coming months, and once Derek steered the conversation with some other large investors in that more engaging direction, I physically saw each dull investors face light up- welcoming a topic that wasn't about money or stocks for once.

He had this gorgeous goofy smile plastered on his face as we moved through each group of people, most approaching us because they had just heard praises about Derek with the last group they chatted with. This beautiful man was stealing the hearts of these otherwise money hungry conference goers right before both their, and my very eyes. Whenever he took a moment to look my way, my heart did an almost lethal thing.

Like trying to burst from my chest cavity.

Everytime I thought I couldn't fall more madly in love with him... Here this man was, challenging the hell out of that.

"Are you having fun?" I asked him, pulling us away from the last group for our first moment of actual privacy in here. The main halls of the castle were starting to clear out as guests made their way to the dining room. It was really more of a ballroom considering those who could attend, put our numbers tonight at easily close to fifty guests.

I wanted to check in with him quick before we got whisked away there too... because what came next was my speech, and hell— even I was honestly a bit nervous. As it turns out there was only one person I could think of who seemed to manage to calm me down with just his goofy smile.

"Are you kidding? I don't think I've had this much fun at an event since the hot dog eating competition!" Derek's face was beaming, smile stretching ear to ear.

Yeah. Fuck. He really just did it for me.

"I didn't think there would be this many people! Shame on you for not telling me. Of course I was a bit nervous at first with everyone coming up to us, but I've got you and Marty here. And you were right-... wearing something you feel confident in helps."