12. Breakfast At Terry's

Unedited but y'all deserve a lil something <3
Will read through and make edits later today, scouts honor
xoxo

John

Derek insisted he should go

I insisted he should stay.

And then we went back and forth on this for what felt like fucking hours.

When he finally caved on my demands which were that he should stay the night because it was literally almost midnight and he could barely keep his eyes open, I insisted he take my bed.

He insisted he take the couch.

Then there was more ridiculously polite back and forth until I was the one who eventually caved to his demands.

It was kinda hard arguing with his reasoning, which was that I just got off a two hour flight and desperately needed some sleep. The yawns that broke up my argument weren't helping my case much either.

"Here is a blanket, and two pillows-"

"One pillow should be fine-"

"You're getting two."

Derek's soft, sleepy eyes found mine again and he finally just nodded, accepting defeat thank fucking god. I couldn't tell if he was too tired, or if he was starting to pick up on my exhausted yet stubborn attitude. Maybe both.

Good.

"And if you need anything, my bedroom is just down the hall to your right." I continued, making my way to flip on a dim lamp that was on one of the side tables, before switching the bright overhead light off.

The small lamp gave the room a warm glow, with just enough light to get around, but to also fall sleep with it on. Derek looked exhausted, barely caring to fully unfold the blanket before he collapsed on the couch. I watched him snuggle up with the knitted material, and forced myself to remember that he chose the couch.

We could've just shared-

"Goodnight." I spoke, giving him a small smile which he comfortably returned once he settled in.

"Goodnight," He replied, his eyes finding mine briefly before his lids slowly lowered.

-

With a shit twist of fate, sleep didn't find me nearly as easily. I had only slept about two hours before I woke up needing to piss. Then of course, because my bathroom was down the hall, I used that as an excuse to check in on Derek quick. My bedside clock told me it was nearing 2:15 in the morning, which was something I was going to ignore for now because work was only four hours away.

Derek was knocked out cold once I made it to the living room. I noticed the blanket was pulled tight around him, tucked in on his sides as he brought it up to his chin, so I checked the living room thermostat and bumped it up a few degrees. I also grabbed an extra blanket from the cabinet in the bathroom, and unfolded the fabric before I draped it over him.