16. And I Suddenly Felt... Weird

I plan on spending most of today writing, and going back to edit previous chapters, so stay tuned for some more uploads m'lovelies!
I might also update some of the art (character photos, etc) but we'll see how much time I've got
Love you guys so so so much
xoxo

John

"So... he's harassing you." Derek more or less stated in between mouthfuls of his chocolate cake. I slid a spoon back into my own rich coffee flavoured ice cream as I watched him. He had a bit of chocolate on his lips that I want to reach across and wipe off, or rather kis-

John.

I wasn't even sure how we got on this topic of conversation, but I did not plan on us discussing my ex tonight. Or Derek's. No one's exes would've been preferred...

No wait, this was a dinner with a friend. Exes were bound to come up right? This was what friends talked about. Right?

Somehow my dumbass let slip about my assistant quitting, and that led to explaining why. Then that led to me telling Derek about my ex... who was a man... which I assumed Derek probably worked out on his own by now, because he didn't seem too phased about it.

And I appreciated that.

But then that led to me explaining the tumultuous relationship that was between me and Pierre. Yeah I wasn't too thrilled about that part.

"I mean I wouldn't say... well okay yeah, I would say it's pretty much harassment. I know it sounds bad, and it might not sound like he and I have anything in common, but in a way we kinda do. We both don't fair well with not having things we want. Or rather crave. I just write about it in a diary, and he phones my office one hundred and fifty-two times a day."

That made Derek unexpectedly laugh, which pulled an unexpected smile from me. Somehow it was easier talking to him about this, even when I hated bringing Pierre up under any and all other circumstances. It generally soured my mood, but it was hard to not feel anything but happy with Derek and his goofiness. He reminded me not to take things so seriously.

"Do you actually have a diary?"

That was a very Derek thing to focus on. "Sort of. I used to, but now I have a journal. It's for both business and pleasure I guess, so I wouldn't call it a diary. How about yourself?"

Derek shook his head. "No, but I'm a post-it note guy. I keep them around the home to write fun aspirations on, or help remember certain things."

"That's cute," I whispered without thinking.

Derek's cheeks turned a blazing shade of scarlet red in an instant, as he stared down at his cake. "I- thanks, yeah- I guess so." Ah fuck. "Tell me more about him- your ex."

For the first time tonight, I tried to focus on anything other than the man in front of me. I settled for Derek's bike again. "He values work a lot, and I do as well, but not in the same way. He used to be the person I could drunkenly adopt a kitten with after a night out on the town, ya know? Well of course you do, you've met Herold." I chuckled, remembering seeing Herold curled up in Derek's lap as he slept. Fuck, that was so goddamn adorable. "Anyways, then his career got more pressing and as it changed, he started to too. That was the one thing I promised, or I guess that we promised we'd never let happen... putting work before everything else."