7. Welcome, Guest

Derek

By the time I made it to the home address entered in my GPS, I was beyond late for work

If the truth could set me free, than you all should know I rerouted that GPS about three times out of pure disbelief by the neighborhood it had brought me to.

This town was about ten minutes away from the city, and absolutely not what I was expecting.

I pulled my car into the long driveway of a quaint stone home that came into view. Beautiful, old multicolored stones were holding two stories just above some of the trees.

"This is really it then," I said aloud, peering through my bird shit covered windshield, at the tall evergreen trees that hid most of the home. If it wasn't for the home's mailbox at the edge of the driveway, you'd never guess a house was perched just a few hundred feet down.

The driveway opened up to the front of the home. There were no cars parked out front, and the garage was closed. I put my car into park, and just sort of sat there moment.

It wasn't like I had any time to waste, but I let the image of this home soak into my memory. It just looked... beautiful. Like in a fairytale cottage sort of way.

It was the violent vibration of my phone alarm, that brought me back to the present. I was supposed to be clocking in right now. "Ah shit." I sighed, unbuckling the seat and stepping out. The weather was better today, yet it felt like the trees blocked off most of the wind as I walked up the steps of the entrance. All I felt were the rays of the sun that broke through.

I noticed a tablet looking pad located right by what I thought was the door. It was odd, because there was no handle on the outside- just a flat slab of wood. I approached the tablet looking thing, but before I could touch it, the screen lit up.

"Hello." An automated voice spoke through the screen. "Please enter the homes code, then place your thumb finger on the scanner."

I stared at the screen a moment, as a number pad appeared. 1012 I recalled from John's text, before slowing keying that in.

At first I couldn't figure out where the fingerprint scanner was located, until another piece slid out from the first screen like some spy kids tech. It felt cold as my thumb gently yet firmly rested against it.

What happened next made me yank my finger back immediately.

"Ow!" I hissed, flipping my thumb up towards me. The scanner had pricked the middle of my finger.

"Welcome, Guest." The screen spoke again, before the front door slowly opened. My feet were frozen in place, unsure of what to do as I started to suck the droplets of blood leaking from my finger tip.

From the opened entry, all I could see was a long hallway with an beautiful clay sculpture perched atop a table.

It was the door slowly starting to close again, that got me going, as I quickly hustled inside. I was not trying to get assaulted by a number pad again.