4. I Still Don't Have Your Address

Unedited asf so please bear with me, my lovelies
I know it's been awhile, but I'll explain after the chapter
As always, love you guys
xoxo

John

The line was short for checking out, which made the whole pet store stop pretty simple

The line was short for checking out, which made the whole pet store stop pretty simple. I was grateful to get rang up quickly, but I slowed my strides to keep pace with Derek as we walked back towards my car.

He'd grown more quiet during the last bit of our pet store trip and I wondered if I had said something wrong, or if maybe he just had a surge in depleted energy.

I mean he was, in fact, just arrested. I'm sure today hadn't been the most relaxing day for him.

"Sorry," I spoke as I finished tossing the cat food into the back seat behind both Derek and myself, making sure not to whack him in the head with the large bag. "You're probably exhausted after your whole ordeal today, and didn't think we'd have to do some shopping. I should've read the situation better and-"

"No!" Derek interjected abruptly. "I- I mean, I didn't mind this at all I promise, and I've definitely been arrested before so that really wasn't anything-" He stopped himself before he could go on.

I couldn't help but glance at him as I turned the key into the ignition. "Arrested before?" That simple yet complex question fell past my lips with an eyebrow slightly arched. Derek suddenly took interest in the parked cars sitting idle in the pet store's lot.

"A story for another day," he replied, refusing to look my way. I could see the faintest color of pink blossoming across his cheeks, and that was when I chose not to pry.

"What's your home address?" I asked instead, realizing that we were now just sitting in a running car that hadn't moved from the lot yet.

"Oh I can always call a Lyft from The Gardens. It's much closer to here than my home," Derek's response was quick, finally allowing himself to meet my gaze.

"Don't be ridiculous. Christian entrusted me with your life, he'd probably make a fuss if I didn't get you home."

Derek