Shadow

Harper

I was walking home after another day of school and a long shift at work. My earphones plugged in, music playing.

It's getting late and got dark pretty fast, so I started walking faster.

I past by the bridge. The view up here was beautiful, the river shined brightly because of the moonlight. So naturally, I stopped and admired it.

It's seemed so peaceful.

Sometimes I pictured myself falling into the water, I wonder how it'll feel.

Should I jump? I laughed internally at my thoughts.

Of course I won't, I'm too scared.

But for a second I think-

All my burdens could be lifted off of me, I'd be at ease, finally.

I'm interrupted by the sound of a lighter being lit. I whipped my head around in that direction.

There's someone in the shadows, behind me. I could only make out a tall, masculine figure, standing not too far away from me.

He's staring right at me. I tensed up. He walked up right beside me, I stiffened.

The moonlight illuminated the area and revealed his face, I froze.

Ace Morano.

My eyes widened slightly. I gasped, quietly. Trying not to be rude.

He rolled his eyes and then looked directly at me, with a raised eyebrow. I offered him a small smile, nervously, thinking of a way to get out of here.

He's fucking gorgeous but terrifying. I haven't been this close to him, almost no one has.

His whole aura literally screams 'Death'.

He was your typical bad boy, all tattoos, cigarettes, motorcycles, dark, brooding and all.

You see, we go to the same school. We have been all our lives. I never talked to him much but I knew who he was. I always made sure to stay clear of him, I don't want any trouble with his family.

They're pretty scary people.

Everybody fears him, because, well, his father is one of the most feared men in the country, and so is Ace.

They're like crazy rich. They own a bunch of businesses including strip clubs, casinos, hotels and a lot of other shady stuff.

I never really paid that much attention to him. I don't think he's ever noticed me either.

Well, I guess, he has now.

"Harper." he stated, blankly. His deep voice almost gave me a heart attack. I looked at him, slightly shocked.

Wait-

How does he know my name?

Is he going to kill me?

I gulped.

"Ace." I muttered quietly and looked away, back to the river view. I sighed, taking it all in again.

I could never get bored of this.

He stood there, observing my every move, taking a drag of his cigarette, and I got a little self conscious. For obvious reasons.

Yeah. Just stand there, Harper. Like he isn't going to kill you.

Fuck.

"You shouldn't be out here alone." he said, suddenly. I pursed my lips.