Traitor

Harper

Walking into my room and out of the bathroom my heart dropped at the sight in front of me.

I felt it crack.

Jelly was curled up next to him on my bed, my very own bed. In my own house.

What shocked me most was that she was letting him pet her.

My jaw dropped, he looked up from his phone and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Traitor." I muttered, narrowing my eyes at Jelly. And on top of all this, it was my birthday, how could she?

Yea, that's right, it was my birthday today. I'm officially seventeen years of age! I can't believe I've been alive for that long.

Happy birthday to me!

I'm not doing anything special today. I've realized that a birthday is really just another day and a reminder that I'm getting older.

When I was a kid, I used to be so excited but now it's really not that special anymore. Besides, I think everyone forgot, as it's also new year's eve.

I didn't expect him to know either, I haven't even told him.

Jelly purred and snuggled closer to him, I shook my head and sat down beside them. He chuckled and put away his phone.

"Any plans for today?" he asked, I sighed, shrugging in response.

"You?"

"Yes, we do." I slowly nodded then paused.

"Wait we?" his lips twitched upwards into a smirk.

"Yes."

"Don't you have work?"

"Doesn't matter."

"But if-" he cut me off with a quick peck on the lips.

"I have to leave now but I'll be back later." I frowned.

"Okay. Be safe."

"Worried about me?"

"No." Yes. He chuckled and placed a lingering kiss on my forehead then he was gone.

I watched from my window as he got into his car and drove off, leaving me here alone.

I felt a sudden sense of loneliness. Without him, everything felt odd.

I didn't like it.

With a heavy heart, I tore my gaze away from the window and my attention went to Jelly as she too seemed sad that he was gone.

I smiled softly and petted her fluffy fur.

Now I had to think of what I should do for the rest of the day while I waited for him.

Maybe I should go downstairs and see if my brother or mom is awake so we could bake a cake together.

That would be fun.

I decided it was a good idea and got up and headed downstairs to the kitchen. The house was quiet, making me feel a tad disappointed.

But that was out the window when I heard someone whisper yelling, "Hurry! She's awake!" I knew it was my brother.

My heart warmed, knowing what they were up to.

I repressed my laughter and quietly walked into the kitchen so they wouldn't hear me. It didn't work, the floor boards creaked under me, I mentally face palmed.

They heard me.

"Happy birthday!" everyone yelled, Elliot, mom, Nick and Nicole, obviously he wasn't here but I was so happy right now.