The one that got away

Harper

I sat in my chair, chest full pride, accomplished, fulfilled.

A soft smile tugged at my lips as I listened to the Valedictorian giving their speech.

"...Congratulations everybody. Now welcome to the next level!"

One by one, everyone began going up on the stage and received their diploma.

It was my turn and I got up, looking behind me to see my parents taking photos of me. I smiled and walked down the rows of students and parents and finally made it to the front, where the principal handed me my diploma.

I went back to my seat and subtly looked around for a certain someone. He was seated a few chairs down to my left and was already staring back at me.

I smiled and he shot me a wink.

The principal gave one final speech, concluding the ceremony. Everyone cheered loudly and got up from their seats. I did the same and threw my graduation cap in the air.

Crowds began forming and I pushed through them, going over to my parents and Elliot.

My mom waisted no time and pulled me into a bone crushing hug, my dad wrapped his arms around us then Elliot joined in.

"We're so proud of you, Harper." She quickly pulled out her phone and began a literal photo shoot.

Someone cleared their throat and we all turned our attention to said person.

Ace stood there, jaw tensed. He was nervous, I could tell.

But if I was anyone else, I'd think he was just grumpy.

"Ace." My dad greeted, seeming a little intimidated by his presence. Who wouldn't be?

Moi.

"Bruce." Ace greeted back. We're they always on first name basis?

Dad smiled warmly and held out his hand to him, they shook hands and I was a tad confused but decided to let it go.

I was relieved that they sort of got along.

"Can I talk to you, Harper." I nodded and followed him as he led me away from my parents.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I just wanted some time alone with you."

I laughed, "Isn't it so strange?"

"What is?"

"We're going to be adults, living in a whole new world."

"It all went by so fast." His lips tugged downwards for the briefest of seconds.

I nodded in agreement, "I still remember that night we met, like it was yesterday."

A small pang formed in my chest as I also recalled the night we fell apart.

He stared down and me with that familiar look in his eyes, "I missed you."

I let out an exasperated sigh, feeling more hopeless than ever. I should've known he'd do something like this.

"Don't say that Ace."

"It's the truth."

"You said you were a liar." I pointed out. "How do I know this is not another lie."

"Why would I lie to you?" I gave him a long look then a smile broke out on my face.

"Careful, or one might think you're still in love with me." I teased.