Maybe

Harper

I opened my eyes as the sound of someone turning on a shower interrupted my beauty sleep. I immediately panicked as I didn't remember where I was because the room wasn't mine. It lacked colour and all my posters and my bookshelf. Also the bed definitely wasn't mind as the sheets were black and not white.

But then last night's events flooded back into my mind and I let out a relieved sigh.

Oh my gosh.

I was in Ace's room. His room is actually very sophisticated. There's absolutely not clutter and everything is so.. Ace. There's a few framed photos on his bedside table and one of them caught my eye.

It was a picture of him and a little girl. The boy was little Ace and the girl kind of looked like a younger version of me and I was confused.

No it was me.

But the gears turned in my head and I remembered that when my mom told me that Giorgia took care of me when I was younger, I probably spent a lot of time with Ace too.

What? How come I don't remember that?

No matter how hard I tried to remember I just couldn't.

I felt really bad now. I'll have to ask my mom about it when I get home later. Maybe then I'll remember. I'm sure there's a logical reason I don't remember that, since it wasn't even that long ago.

But to be fair, I don't really remember much about my childhood. I don't remember my first day of school or anything about what I used to do. Well I remember some things like meeting Nick and Nicole, my mom teaching how to cook, the first time I rode my bike, learning how to write and read and just stuff like that. But then after that it's all blurry.

I don't even remember my dad much.

Maybe I should go to therapy.

You need it bitch.

Be quiet!

But it just doesn't make any sense. This photo is clearly me. I looked to be around eight. That was about nine years ago and not a single memory of that came to mind. I stared intently at the photo and racked my mind for any sign of recognition. Alas, nothing came.

I felt the bed dip and Ace's cologne filled the air. I tore my eyes away from the frames and looked at him.

He noticed that I was looking at the frames and rubbed the back of his neck nervously as if he was embarrassed that I saw that.

"Hey." I said, not knowing if I should bring up the topic or drop it.

"How did you sleep?" he said, I smiled and told him it was very comfortable. His bed is not as good as mine but I mean it smells like him so...

"Why do you have that?" I gestured to the frames. He shrugged.

"Just something very important to me."

"Who's the girl?" I asked, already knowing the answer. I bit my lip to hide my smile. He smirked faintly, but he was looking at the picture longingly.

"It's little you." I laughed, "You don't remember?"

"I'm really sorry, Ace. I honestly don't remember that." I said. He nodded in understanding.

"I don't remember much either but I just know you used to come over my house sometimes." he said, but I could tell he was hiding something.

Something big.

What are you hiding Ace?

I dropped the topic deciding not to pry because it seemed he doesn't want to talk about it. I nodded and tilted my head to the side as I just realized something else.