Late

Harper

Sadly, it was almost time for me to leave as it was already almost five in the afternoon. We spent our time just talking about random things, sitting in his beautiful garden.

I could never get bored of this place.

He wasn't that bad, after all. He was actually really cool, definitely not what I had expected. Well, I don't even know what I was expecting but he was fun to be with. Even though he didn't talk much, I did most of the talking.

I think I talk to much sometimes. Oh well. That's another thing I hate about myself. Like usually, I wouldn't be talking this much but when I get comfortable with someone, it gets out of hand. But he was a good listener.

Ace was leading me back to the house and we fell into not an awkward silence, it was the kind of silence where there was something that needed to be said but wasn't.

He was overly quiet and seemed to be deep in thought. His expression was unreadable. But every now and then our hands would brush up against one another and the feeling I got was completely ridiculous. He didn't seem to mind.

We went back into the house and the guests were just about to leave. My mom and Giorgia were still talking, seated in the living room.

But there was an older man, who looked exactly like Ace, almost and he was walking up to us. I immediately stiffened. One, because he's Ace's father and two, he's the one behind all the drug rings, murders and other shady stuff that happened in this city.

I wanted to both run away and spit in his face. Ace looked at his father with a cold glare and I was confused.

"Who's this?" His father asked, staring at me in a way that made me very uncomfortable.

"I'm Harper." I said, hesitantly putting out my hand so he could shake it. He did and I wanted to go die in a hole as this had to be the most awkward yet scariest thing I have ever done.

He chuckled darkly, sending shivers down my spine.

"Pleasure to meet you." he said.

"You too." I replied as politely as I could. He smiled at me and anyone would've thought it was genuine but I could tell he was anything but that.

"Don't fucking talk to her." Ace said, his tone was harsh and I was shocked by how fast his attitude could change. Just earlier he was so calm and kind with me. But I do understand, relationships with fathers can be... difficult.

"Son, I was just introducing myself to your new whore." his father said, I was taken aback by his choice of words.

Excuse me.

Okay white man, who told you to speak. The audacity.

"Say that again and I'll fucking end you." Ace said, catching the unwanted attention of his mother, my mother and the rest of the guests.

"What's going on, Ace?" Giorgia asked, he only waved her off and grabbed my hand, dragging me away from the scene.

We sat down on the steps of the front porch and I let out a relieved sigh. He ran his hand through his hair frustratedly and closed his eyes for a second.

"I'm sorry about him." he said finally.

"It's alright." I reassured him. He shook his head.

"What he said was wrong." he said, I shrugged.

"It's fine really." I told him. He was about to say something else but the sound of footsteps approaching the door behind us interrupted him.