New beginnings

Harper

The ticking of the clock on the wall and the scribbling of pencils echoed throughout the dead silent classroom.

I was on the last page, on the last question.

I dropped my pencil just as the teacher said our time was up.

I looked down at my paper, a sense of pride filling my chest.

I did it!

I finished my last exam. I was pretty confident about it. I studied for hours and hours to no end.

The weight of stress has been lifted off of my shoulders.

The teacher went around the classroom and picked up our exams. "Alright! Good job everyone. You may go on break now."

I followed everyone out of the class and pushed passed the crowded hallway and made my way to my locker.

My stomach sunk as I saw him leaning against his locker right next to mine. I've been trying to avoid him because every time I see him, I want to kiss him.

The urge to grab his face right now is not even funny.

He still makes me feel things, obviously.

I offered him a smile and opened my locker, he crossed his arms over his chest and watched my every move.

"How was it?" He asked.

"I think I did pretty good, you?"

"I Aced it." I laughed at his pun and took my backpack out of my locker and closed it.

I slung my back over my shoulder and caught him still staring at me.

"What?"

"Nothing. Do you need a ride?" I shook my head.

"My dad is picking me up."

He nodded and we walked out of the school together. "I heard there's a party tonight."

"Yeah, at uh that guy's house." I said, I was invited yet I have no idea what the guy's name is.

"You'll be there?"

"No. Maybe. I don't know, I have a lot to do. College prep and stuff, you know?" That was half true, I did need to finish that but the main reason was that I didn't actually want to go to the party.

Too many people and I'd rather just go home and sleep.

"Same, I'm not going either, I have stuff to do." he cleared his throat.

I snorted, "You should go, I'm sure it'll be fun."

"You're not going."

My heart fluttered, "Fair enough." I looked around for my dad's car as we stood by the parking lot.

"Listen, I was thinking we could maybe do something together later?" He suddenly spoke up.

A look of surprise crossed over my features but I quickly masked it, raising an eyebrow, "I thought you had stuff to do."

"Yeah, I do." He rubbed the back of his neck, nervously.

Butterflies fluttered in my chest. "Sure, I'd love to." I smiled.

His eyes widened and his eyebrows shot up as if he was expecting a rejection from my part.

He huffed out a light chuckle, "I'll pick you up at seven."

"It's a date?" I teased.

"If you want, yes but if you don't that's fine, I know you wanted to stay friend-"