Chapter 40 - "The parched heart..."

I move my eyes on his entire face. That fair skin is now half-covered with an unkempt beard. He had soft silky hair. Of course, those are there but very unruly and unmaintained. Those bright eyes are clouded with stress and despair. The dark circle and puffy undereye are indicating that he might not have a peaceful sleep for eons. His lips are dry and his frequent licking of those is specifying that he is thirsty. I walk to the desk and lift the jug to pour some water into a glass. Manik is still standing like a statue. Perhaps he is too tired to even talk. I gulp the pain and discomfort and near him.

"You must be thirsty."

I say in a flat tone while forward the glass to him. He glances at it and asks,

"You are very surprised to see me here...right? Even I am surprised to get you here...so soon and so easily."

My eyes become narrow to hear him. Was he trying to find me out? Why? I forbade him to search for me.

"I am not that surprised to see you here. In fact, I was quite sure that you will find me out when I came to know that ELYSIAN is collaborating with Decoracion. Still, I tried to hide from your reach. But I didn't know you will be so desperate to meet me. Why Manik? Now, I have nothing to give you or you have nothing to snatch from me. I left my past life long back, long behind. I don't even want to remember that I am Nandini."

I know my words jab his heart brutally. I didn't want to hurt him but I can't control my emotion. My hand is still stretching to him holding the glass. The despair and pain in his eyes deepen. He takes the glass from my hand and saunters at the sofa kept beside my working desk. He hesitates for a while and turns at me to ask,

"Can I?"

He indicates the couch. In reply, I only sigh. He sits on it. It seems that he slouches his tired frame after a long time.

"Yes, Nandini I was desperate to meet you. I know you have lots of doubts, questions and grievances and I have lots to admit. You left your past long back, long behind but unfortunately, I couldn't. Perhaps my guilt never allowed me to forget my past. You left and I just let you go. Because I thought that whatever I did to you it was an unforgivable sin. You will never forgive me and I never asked for that impossible forgiveness."

He pauses for a second and sips on water. Perhaps he feels dried up. His words fill my heart with new anguish. Today I won't spare him from my bitterness.

"May I know why have you felt the urge for that forgiveness today? You are the same Manik and I am the same Nandini. Nothing has been changed."

My words are as sharp and deadly as a dagger. However, surprisingly he smiles and replies in a composed voice,

"Because someone told me that there is no sin in the universe for which we can't ask for forgiveness. At least we should try with a pure heart and pure remorse. No, Nandini....I am not that Manik which you knew and buried in your past. That Manik only knew about his revenge but this Manik knows revenge doesn't pay back our happiness. It only destroys. My vengeance not only destroyed us but other's happiness too."

'Others'..the word brings lines on my forehead. Is he talking about Bhai and Navya. I near him and desperately ask,

"What do you mean? Bhai and Navya are okay...right? They got married I think."

He stares up and meets my eyes with a pale smile.

"Does marriage ensure happiness? Yes, they are married...as you wanted but they are not happy because their brother and sister are not happy."

He utters strongly. I slowly sink into the sofa leaving a fair gap between us. Right now, I so want to see my brother. I blink my eyes a couple of times to dry up the tears which were almost there and mouth with the same sarcasm,