Chapter 15 - "Impression and suspicion..."

"You should have accompanied your sister. In fact, I told Nandi to invite her too."

Cabir says and looks at Nandini. With hell embarrassment, Nandini turns at me.

"Didn't she say anything about Navya to her brother? Does she doubt that my mentally ill sister can be a hindrance between our relationship?"

My mind gives me an alert. Bitterness lumps my throat. I don't want to hide anything from anybody. My sister is not a barrier to my happiness. She is unlucky. Not a misfortune and Nandini should know this. I prepare myself to open my mouth when Nandini's words hold my tongue.

"Bhai, I didn't tell you about Manik's sister because I didn't know whether he will like it or not. Because it is his and his sister's private matter and it's indecency to discuss someone's personal life in his absence."

The bitterness which clouded my mind sometimes earlier removes immediately. That's my girl. Different and unique. My heart silently bows her. With a perplexed expression, Cabir roams his eyes on both of our faces. I sit squarely leaving a sigh.

"Well, I have no issues to discuss my sister, Nandini but I think it is not the right time and place to discuss that. Cabir, I just want to say that my sister has a painful past and for that she is suffering from some mental issues. But she is recovering and I am sure that very soon I will get back my normal sis."

My voice had something that Cabir doesn't raise the topic further and with a smile nods to assure me that my hope will be fulfilled very soon.

"Well, I think we should go for dinner. It's almost 8 pm."

Cabir says looking at the grandfather clock hanging from the living room wall. Nandini looks at me with a mischievous smile and winks as she is trying to say,

"I told you; he is as punctual as a clock."

I return a sheepish smile. Her brother can be an alive clock but who dines at 8 o'clock in the evening. This is my evening snacks and tea time. I roll my eyes in mind. But unwillingly we have to sit on the dining table. Some professional uniformed butlers serve us the food. This house not only follows the time but also follows all etiquettes, whether it is welcoming the guest or the table manners. I pick the fork up and pierce it on a chunk of potato.

"So Manik, what do you think? Is she managing ELYSIAN well? You know I have to see our family business and Nandi strictly forbids me to interfere in her business."

Cabir asks in a frolic manner and eyes his sister. For the first time, I see his eyes are dancing with the jester. Somehow I feel that this person is trying to mantle his natural self behind this rigid, reticent and reserved personality. His eyes and the piece of a smile lingering on his lips are telling some other story. So what is the harm if I bring out his real self? I look at Nandini who is now rolling her eyes at her elder brother.

"Yeah, she doesn't like anybody's interference in her work although she always pokes her fine nose in everybody's work."

I say with an innocent face while putting the potato in my mouth. Immediately Nandini's glare changes her target.

"Hey, Hello! When have I interfered in your work, Mr Malhotra? On the contrary, you are the most defiant employee in my office. I literally have to remain on my toes to control you."

She counters while stirring the fork in front of my nose.

"Oh...listening your complaints I am feeling like a horse and you are the horrified jockey."

I state with a poker face and her expression is worth watching. If Cabir had not been here she would have killed me with the fork she is holding right now. Before she could counter-attack Cabir bursts out in a riot of laughter. He chortles for a few moments and surprisingly I see the glint of a smile on Nandini's lips too. My purpose has been achieved. The entire dinner goes on with light chit chat. I come to know that Cabir runs their family business and the company name is 'Murthy Creations'. Weirdly that Nandini and I have crossed so many limits in our relationship but till now, we know very less about each other. Around 10 pm I get up to leave and Cabir bids adieu to me with a broad smile and a tight brotherly hug. Even I feel a connection to this man now. Nandini comes outside to say the final bye. Although I was expecting a goodbye kiss she is in a different trance right now.