Chapter 42 - "Signs of past..."

The first thing which strikes my mind is, 'Maan'. Has Aryamaan come to drop Maan to me? But it's only 6 o'clock in the morning. I am supposed to go there for breakfast. At least last night we decided that. Then there is no point for Arya to come over here. I calculate quickly in my mind. Manik is still standing like an idiot. Disgusting. The knock is again heard and this time it emotes some impatience.

"Just be here. Don't try to come outside. Understood?"

I command him stirring my forefinger in front of his nose. He looks at my finger and bobs like an obedient kid. I come to the other room to open the door. Only then Calida's voice comes from the other side of the closed door.

"Nandini, soy yo, Calida." (Nandini, it's me, Calida)

Unknowingly a sigh of relief comes out of my heavy chest. I hastily open the door. Calida is standing with her bright smile. I like this lady. Despite being the wife of a rich businessman and a successful jewellery designer, she doesn't have any vanity or arrogance. Very down to earth and polite. With an ear-to-ear smile, she asks,

"Hoy tengo una exposición de joyas. Te gusto venir conmigo?" (I have a jewellery exhibition today. Do you like to come with me?)

Automatically my heart fills with gratitude. So, nice of her. But my morning is already booked with my friends. I politely ask,

"Gracias. ¿ Puedo saber el momento?" (Thank you. May I know the timing?) Tengo que ir a algún lugar por la mañana." (I have to go somewhere in the morning)

"Continua. La exposición es por la noche. Hay suficiente tiempo." (You carry on. The exhibition is in the evening. There is enough time.)

She assures me. I smile back and reply,

"Entonces está bien. Me uniré directamente a ustedes allí. Por favor SMS la dirección." (Then it's okay. I will directly join you there. Please SMS the address.)

In reply, she only tilts her head sidewards to assure. She was about to turn on her heels but as she remembers something, she again looks at me.

"Por cierto, anoche vino un señor a nuestra casa preguntando por ti, Vino aquí?" (By the way, last night a gentleman came to our house asking about you. Did he come here?)

She casually asks but my throat gets dry. That means Manik previously enquired about me to them. How efficiently he is trying to create problems for me. I hardly bring a smile on my face and reply,

"No...nobody came. Must be some mad."

I steal a glance at my bedroom. He must have heard. I replied in English just to make him listen. I feel amused. Calida doesn't reply and only bobs her head in positive. With a brief goodbye she leaves and I again exhale a breath of relief. Now, I have to get out of this nuisance from my bedroom and even from this outhouse. I again come to the bedroom with determined strides. However, I can't see him anywhere in the room.

"Manik...Manik..."

I call him in a suppressed tone. I even search the bathroom but he is not even there. Only then, the door of my cupboard gets open and the great Manik Malhotra comes out of it. I gape at him and ask in sheer surprise,

"What are you doing inside it?"

He casually replies,

"Trying to hide. It wouldn't have been nice for your current boyfriend to see your ex-boyfriend in your bedroom."

I take some time to grok his words. Is he trying to pull my leg? But he is looking damn serious. I almost chide,

"What? Current boyfriend? It was Calida. And for your kind information, I have no current boyfriend."