Chapter 6 - "The thing called love..."

"Will... you come...Nan...dini?"

I lean forward to reach his mouth. His lips are dry and cracked. Some muffled words again let out.

"You..are mad at...me...I know.."

This time it is clearer. I hold my breath to hear again.

"But...I...couldn't....con..control myself...I...like you...Nandini...Please come...ummmm.."

He let out a painful muffle. I retreat my face a bit to observe him...to try to know if he is gaining his conscience. All of a sudden I taste something salty on the corner of my lips. I immediately touch my cheeks and become surprised to see that unknowingly when I started crying. I reach his head and softly caress his hair following to his jawline. He stirs a bit most probably feeling the touch. Suddenly a nurse comes inside. She looks at me with some queries in her eye and comes nearer. I part my lips to ask something when she hangs a chart on the head side reeling of the bed and places the medical tray on the side table. I glance at it and find a syringe and an injection vial. Oh God...is she going to give him an injection. My heart rate spikes. As I am busy in my thoughts she prepares the syringe and very professionally pricks the needle into Manik's vain. All of a sudden I feel a tight squeeze on my hand which is rested on Manik's hand. He turns his head to me and holds my hand more tightly.

"Your husband?..."

The nurse casually asks me. An uncanny euphoric tremor passes through my body. I shun to correct her.

"Don't worry...he will be all right after some hours. The injury is not very severe. It is just that he fainted with the shock. It is just a case of concussion. We gave him sedative to subside the trauma. He is expected to be in sense within half an hour. Then you can take him home."

The nurse informs me one by one. I can only bob my head.

"You come with me....there are some formalities to fulfil. After that, I will prepare the discharge paper and the doctor will tell you about the medicine. Don't skip the medicine and take care of him for at least one week. He needs rest and care."

I again nod. Right now it is useless to tell her that I don't even know his address. I again glance at Manik and carefully free my hand from his grip. This time he doesn't react. The nurse heads the door and I also follow her.

...................................................

After all formalities, I meet the doctor and get all detail about the medicine and other precaution. Now, it's time to get him out of here and get to his home. I again come to the room. Manik is sitting on the bed reclining with closed eyes. His face is gloomy due to pain or shock. Hearing my footsteps he slowly opens his eyes and straightens his head. Our eyes meet. A surprise yet an ecstasy beams in his eyes. I come near and say composedly,

"I don't know your address. I think you want to go there as early as possible."

He gazes at me for a while and tells me the address.

"That girl Mukti must be there..."

My inner Goddess gives me her crooked look. I ignore her and again ask him,

"How are you feeling now?"

A mischievous smile peeps in his eye.

"Unnecessary question. You know very well...I am feeling much better now...after seeing your beautiful face."

He bites the inner wall of his cheek. I break the eye contact. This boy will never change. Even in this condition, he is flirting with me. Without getting in any further word puzzle I help him to get up and we finally ride my car.