Chapter 5- "Untamed heart..."

"How is your office going?"

Cabir asks in a baritone voice after not getting any response to his previous words. However, Nandini again remains adrift in her thoughts, doodling on her plate. For a while, Cabir minutely observes his sister and takes a piece of apple to forward it in front of her mouth. At last Nandini's trance breaks and she startles to lift up her face. Her expression is atypical as well as mousy.

"Thought to bring back some memories. Do you remember how you used to feed me when I used to become upset about Ajja's (Grandfather in Kannada) strictness? I often used to shut myself in the small storeroom of our terrace and you used to plead for hours sitting outside of the room. But at last, I had to surrender in front of your perseverance."

Cabir says in a heavy voice seems that suddenly he opens the closed door of his memories. A smile creeps on Nandini's lips. She takes a bite of the apple from his hand.

"After that, you used to lure me with my favourite Payasam and I used to give up."

Cabir grins while wobbles his head in affection.

"But when you used to feed me I always would vent out my frustration and tell you about Ajja's wrong decisions, about his over austerity and you would try to pacify my bitterness towards him. It was you, because of whom I perhaps didn't leave him."

The bitterness and disappointment are still lucid in his voice. Nandini takes the last bite from his hands.

"You are still mad at him...right Bhai? I agree that at some point he was over strict and possessive about us but maybe that time when our parents died at our tender age, it was a bit necessary. How could we forget that he protected us from the harsh world which could have destroyed us at that vulnerable stage? How could you maintain our Murthy Creation without his guidance and how could I achieve my goals if you were not there with me? So indirectly he also guided me to achieve my dreams."

Nandini nods with a bright smile drives him to shed his frown. Cabir pours some juice in the glass and gives it to Nandini.

"Your nature to justify him is still appreciable Nandi but in one thing he was right. He was right about HER. I wish I didn't defy his decision at that matter."

His tone abruptly deepens indicating his remorse. Nandini notices and immediately tries to light up the topic.

"First of all, stop calling me Nandi, Bhai...It sounds like I am a bull...Nandi Bull...you know the sacred mount of Lord Shiva. But not for me...it's ridiculous. Why don't you call me Nandu as our parents and Ajja used to call?"

She whines with affection. Cabir chuckles to hear her complaints.

"Because you are special to me. How can I call you by a name which is already used several times by others? It should be unique and weird just like you."

His eyes beam with a naughty smile. Relief floods through her. At last. her brother won't start his day with the bitter memory of HER. To continue the light mood she rolls her eyes.

"I am weird?...This is not fair Bhai..."

She again mewls.

"Of course you are...otherwise you would have told me about your days at ELYSIAN. You were supposed to hire someone as the chief architect and some days back there was the interview....right? So what happened? Have you selected anyone?"

Cabir's words push her back to the thought she was lost in some time ago. Nandini gives a pale smile. Manik's face and words start pulsating in her mind. All of a sudden, perhaps to rescue her from the discussion, her mobile rang. An unknown number flashes on the screen. If it is some other time, she would have cut the call. But now she has to divert her mind and the topic.