Chapter 47 - "She is in danger..."

"How could I forget to take the pill?"

I disappointedly curse myself looking at the emergency birth control pill packet. The day Manik stayed at my place and I was unconscious, he did another mistake and being rational-minded, I had to rectify it. I bought the pill but the hectic day and continuous encounter with Manik made me forget about it.

"Shit...yahh..."

I again scoff and throw the bag to the bed. It hits Manik's chest and he wakes up with a jerk.

"Nan...di..ni..."

That is the first word he utters in his half-conscious state. I glance at Maan and near Manik. He forcefully unfurls his eyelids. His eyes are hazy with uncertainty.

"Good that you woke up. You have to take medicine."

I state mechanically. Though his feeble condition is not giving any pleasant feeling to me I am neither shocked. This man is unpredictable and I am used to it. He roams his drowsy eyes all around and then fixes them on me.

"Why have you got me...here? You hate...me...right?"

He speaks with little difficulty.

"Because you left me with no other option. Yes, I hate you but still can't be heartless. Look Manik, my client Mr Carlos wants to shift you to his mansion for further treatment. He is Calida's husband, whom you met at the jewellery exhibition. I don't want you to meet her again. So, tell Carlos that you want to move to your place. Don't worry I will be there to take care of you. Once you get well, buy the ticket to India and leave. I don't want any further drama. Understood?"

I mouth in a go. All things are going out of my control and I am trying to muster them desperately. Manik lifts his upper torso and tries to get up but again plummets on the pillow because of weakness. Unknowingly my hands reach him. A pale smile appears on his lips. He feebly mumbles,

"What makes you tension free...I will do."

His words get overlapped by a babyish voice.

"Capthan Amelica...how al yo...?"(Captain America..how are you?)

Both of our eyes turn to Maan's cot. He is rubbing his eyes, still, his full concertation is on Manik. In reply, Manik waves his hand at him and smiles out,

"Fine Champ..how are you?"

Maan stretches his hands towards him, indicating his wish to come to him. Manik again tries to get up. I stop him showing my hand.

"I am getting him."

Saying this I near Maan and lift him in my lap. He pecks my cheek and then turns his face to Manik again. God! What this man has done to my son. I bring him to Manik with half heart. This time Manik pulls up his frail body and rests on the back wall. Maan almost jumps towards him. His tiny frame crawls up to his chest.

"Be careful, Manu. He is not well."

My concerned mind automatically gets vocal. Maan minutely observes Manik and then snakes his neck following two pecks on his cheeks.

"Now iz oki oki..?" (Now it's okay okay?)

I watch tears, glinting in Manik's eyes. Naturally, it doesn't give me any happy note. But you are only responsible for this, Manik. Your revenge destroyed all of us. I turn my eyes to hide the pain in those.

"Mummum...Capthan Amelica iz hungly...mumti..mumti.." (Mom..Captain America is hungry...milk.)

Maan demands in his baby accent and it instantly makes my ears hot and red. He refers my milk as mumti mumti. Thank God Manik doesn't have any idea of it. Otherwise, it will be hell embarrassing for me.