Epilogue- "Love, sacrifice and destination..."

One more day has passed. It is as if a storm has blown through our life in these 24 hours. When I and Nandini went to the nursing home, Navu was in serious condition. It was premature labour pain and water bag breakage. Cabir and I didn't want Nandini to go to the nursing home but eventually, it turned out beneficial as she also got her water bag broken in the nursing home premises. Although she didn't have any complications in her pregnancy it might occur due to stress and tension. Both got admitted to two adjacent rooms. Where Nandini had a normal delivery Navu's baby took birth with a caesarean process. It was a long 4 hours operation. But.....her baby girl was stillborn as it was anticipated. After all the effort and all the prayer, God again pushes my sister into the darkness. Right now, I and Cabir are sitting outside of the OT. The doctor just has informed us about Navu's baby. After a long battle with nerves, Cabir at last breaks down with tears.

"I have failed again, Manik. I couldn't protect my baby again. What will I say to her? She will be shattered."

Cabir palms his face while blabbering. His frame is quivering with suppressed sobs. My eyes prick with tears. Why always my sister has to suffer? I was about to place my hand on Cabir's shoulder when the OT door opens once again. A nurse comes out holding a newborn baby.

"Mr Manik Malhotra."

I and Cabir spring up from our seats and rushes to her.

"It's me. How is my wife, Nandini Malhotra?"

I spurt out with lots of worries.

"She is fine. She gave birth to a baby girl. This is your daughter, Mr Malhotra."

The nurse shows me a tiny frame wrapped in cloth. Her pinkish tiny face is angelic. I couldn't see Maan as a newborn baby. So, the sight stops my heartbeat for a moment. Is it happiness, excitement or surprise? I don't know. In a spellbound state, I forward my hand to touch my princess but the nurse forbids me due to hygiene issues. Our cute buddle of joy yawns and I and Cabir chuckle looking at each other.

"We are shifting both Mrs Navya Murthy and Mrs Nandini Malhotra to their cabins. Though Mrs Murthy is unconscious Mrs Malhotra is absolutely fine. Actually, she wants to talk to both of you. After five minutes, you can see her but one by one. She is fine but exhausted and weak. So, no mental stress is appreciable."

We tilt our heads like obedient students. The nurse leaves along with my Thumbelina. Yes, I instantly name her Thumbelina as she is so tiny and cute. Cabir looks at me and mouths,

"Congratulations, Manik! Thank God the baby and Nandi are absolutely fine."

His eyes are beaming with zeal. I smile at him and counter-greet,

"Congratulations to you too. You became the maternal uncle again."

My words sound empty to my ears. We don't know if we both should be happy for Nandini and me or we should be sad for Navu and Cabir. I try to change the topic and say,

"You go first. Nandini will be happy to see you. But...ahem...don't say anything about Navu right now. She didn't anticipate this either."

Cabir wobbles in denial and utters with determination,

"No, it's your right to meet her first. I know you have been longing for this moment for aeons. Go and enjoy the moment."

He pats my biceps. His tone has something that doesn't allow me to defy him. Perhaps today he can forgive me totally from the bottom of his heart. I don't waste any time and head to Nandini's cabin.

......................................................

"Manik, if I demand something from you, will you give me?"