Chapter 11 - "Into the wild..."

Aman is following Manik and Nandini with baby steps as the violent gale is howling, controlling their body balance. The torrential rain is obscuring their vision. They have to reach the small cave if they want to save their lives. Aman is praying for any miracle when he feels a great thwack behind his head and the next moment he falls flat on the ground. Before losing his sense he can see Manik and Nandini is nearing the cave with great difficulty. However, a strong wind laps to his body, making it rolling on the ground and Aman is hurled to a different direction. He is now unconscious and motionless. Concurrently, though Manik and Nandini get shelter inside the narrow cave they are now trapped there...badly. As the tree creaks and snaps to fall on the ground, closing the entrance, Nandini embraces Manik with a jolt and hides her face in his chest. She is shivering with fright and cold.

"I am here Nandini...nothing will happen to you, as long as, I am here."

I whisper against her ear makes her more nestle to me. I encircle her tiny frame more closely and try to observe the outside through the boughs and the trunk of the fallen tree. The sky is still tar-black indicating of more downpour. There is still some light but it won't last very long. I glance at my radium dial watch. It is showing 6:55 pm. In hill stations, this is considered as late evening. There are frequent lightning with thunder sounds outside and that is still making the surrounding a bit visible. I pull out my mobile but immediately frown in vexation. It is dead due to water insertion. The cave is small yet it has enough space to sit or lie down comfortably. I stretch my legs to forward and pull Nandini closer to my chest.

"I think we have to wait here till the storm completely simmers down. By the way, where is your mobile? Mine is dead."

I ask and Nandini stirs a bit.

"In my purse and the purse is in the car and the car...."

She meeks out.

"Ok...ok...got it..I know where the car is. So basically you don't have your mobile with you right now."

I say and mummer turning my face to the other direction.

"These lady's bags should be banned. They have everything in it but none can be used in a crisis...damn."

"You said something?"

Nandini asks lifting up her head from my chest.

"Shit she heard."

My mind curses my tongue. I clear my throat to mend the damage.

"Nothing...nothing. I was just thinking how to get out of this mousetrap?"

I can feel she is smiling. She again snuggles to me. It is evident that she heard my remark.

"What is the urgency to go out? It's quite cosy and romantic."

Hearing her words I whistle.

"Oho...Ms Boss...I must say you are the perfect match for me because you are weirder than me. Otherwise, any normal and sane girl won't find this jeopardous situation as romantic. Ha..ha.."

My laughter echoes in the small cave. Nandini grins with her closed eyes and replies in affirmation.

"I am exceptional and you should have known it until now."

I am about to reply but a cracking sound of fresh lightning suppresses my voice.

"Aiyooo...Aiyappa...what this weather wants from us?"

Nandini's wail makes me quiver in laughter.

"Now, you are sounding like a typical Kannadiga girl who is actually as delicate as a normal lass. Henceforth, don't boss around me."