Chapter 50 - "The third angle..."

Four days passed. I am still in the nursing home where Carlos was for the first day. He is lucky as his injury was not that severe. His leg was fortunately not broken rather was just swollen for the hit. Sánchez family is very rich and well known, so, I am getting VIP care in this place. Nandini comes every day to consult with the doctors. However, she hardly talks with me. I know she feels my inquisitive and eager eyes on her every moment when she remains in the cabin and continuously talks with the doctors about my recovery and health but her eyes never touch mine. I don't know if she is angry with me or fed up and is just doing her responsibilities. Aryamaan and Soha came twice to meet me and Maan was with them. I know it was not Nandini's wish. She must have put her gun down in front of her stubborn son. Like father like son. I smirk fixing my eyes on Nandini who is now talking to the nurse. Her gesture of hands indicates that she disagrees with something. Suddenly a mischief idea runs through my mind. I make a painful sound so that, both of them present at the threshold can hear.

"Ahhhh....uffff...oh God..."

It immediately works. Both flip their attention to me. However, Nandini's eyes have some extra fear. I pat my back in my mind.

"What happened, Mr Malhotra? Is it paining somewhere?"

The nurse asks in a professional tone while walks towards me. I glance at the other frame behind her nurse uniform. She is also following her with hesitant steps.

"My back...it's..it's paining...I can't breathe..."

I pretend while panting. Here I would like to tell, when I was brought to this place, I had two fractured ribs with a dangerous head injury and fare enough blood loss. I was unconscious for an entire day. I got all this information from Soha and Aryamaan. One more thing is bothering me since I met Aryamaan. Is he only Nandini's friend? A good friend or more than that? He sometimes addresses her witch. Well, it suits her personality...ha...ha. She and her devilish temper. But is it so simple? Is he so much close to Nandini that he can take the liberty to call her with this weird name? My reverie breaks with the nurse's voice.

"Okay, Mr Malhotra. Let me check..."

She nears me to support my back, so, that I can sit. With a bit of difficulty, I lift my upper body and sit stretching my legs forward. The nurse lifts the hem of my cloth to check my back. I purposely grimace to show my pain. Nandini is standing nearby plastering an annoyance on her face. I know this annoyance is not because of my discomfort rather my proximity to the young nurse.

"Mr Malhotra, I can't see anything wrong with the bandage. Maybe something inside it. I have to take off the cloth completely. So that I can examine properly."

The nurse suggests what I exactly wanted. I cock my head in approval and slowly lift my hands above my head like an obedient kid. In between, I steal a glance of Nandini. The frown between her brows has deepened more. The nurse carefully peels of my patient uniform. There is a cross bandage tied around my upper chest. She comes close and tries to peep inside the gauze. Her head nears my chin. Suddenly, Nandini rests her palm on the nurse's shoulder and mouths in an authoritative tone,

"Let me see. I think he needs some special care. Can you please get me some water? The jug is empty. In between, I try to figure out the cause of his discomfort."

The nurse stands straight and looks at the jug. Embarrassment is prominent in her eyes.

"I am so sorry. Please take care of him, Mrs Malhotra. I am just coming."

Both I and Nandini look at her dispersing frame with wide-open eyes. What did she just say? Mrs Malhotra! Really? My stomach churns with laughter and Nandini's expression is worthwatching....ha...ha. She faces me and asks with a flared nose,