Chapter 20 - "The damnation..."

The entire house is sunk into the dead silence and gloom. I am lying on the bed supine, gazing at the ceiling, analyzing my emotions and what I did to Nandini. Today I actually became an animal. A heartless, emotionless beast who can even hurt and devour its loved ones. I close my eyes. Nandini's innocent, love-drenched eyes are haunting me. The moment she left; her eyes were still searching for her answer. Why? Why she couldn't feel my love today?

"Because I didn't make love to you today. I took revenge. I just poured my vengeance and wrath upon your body. I became an animal...just like your brother and grandfather...."

My mind screams followed by mine.

"Ahhhhhh.......I hate you all. But I hate myself more. I just destroyed your trust and love."

I yell at myself and sit squarely on my bed with a jerk. My mind is about to explode. Unmindfully, I grab the photo-frame of mine which is kept on the side table and hurl it to the opposite wall. It gets smashed in zillion pieces, just like my Nandini's heart. I am panting like a hound who can't do anything but growling in its bound. I fist my hair.

"How could I? How could I rape her like a slut?"

I sound like a lost soul who don't even know his existence.

"Very convenient lamentation. Though you did all these in your full sense. You considered her a slut and you treated her in the same way."

My inner self scoffs.

"No, no, no....she is not....she is not..."

I wail at him while leaping out from my bed. I slip in my tee while already wearing my jeans and come out of the house like a bull. This place is now suffocating me like an abyss. It's around 11 pm. As this house is isolated from the main city the surrounding is quiet and dark. Only the streetlights are illuminating the bleak read. I start walking on it like an aimless lurching ship. Can this placidity pacify my restless heart? I keep on walking like a lost soul until my conscience gets halted by some unknown figures and words,

"Hey, Hero! Give your all things to us.... Quick."

I roam my eyes all around. 5-6 ruffian guys are around me, encircling like vultures. All faces are half-covered with cheap hankies. Two of them are holding wooden sticks and one is having a shining knife. It is evident that they are adamant to plunder on me.

"I don't have anything. Let me go."

I say composedly. One of them, probably the leader comes forward.

"All say this. Let me check you. If I get something you are gone."

He sounds intimidating but unfortunately failed to put an impact on my mind. Presently I am totally devoid of any kind of fear for myself. The person pats on my pockets. I am sure that he won't get anything there. Not even my house key. Because I just left without any burden. But suddenly his hand stops on my left back pocket. In the streetlight, I can see his flickering eyes. In the blink of an eye, he pulls out my wallet. I scrunch my eyes. Shit, I forgot that the jeans I am wearing is the same jeans which I wore in the office. And after coming home I didn't take it out because of Nandini's sudden visit. The hoodlum stirs it against my nose.

"What is this, Boss?"

His voice is raspy. I stretch my hand towards it and say in a composed tone.

"Look, I forgot about it. Take the money and give it back to me."

"Wo..wo...you are ordering me. But you are not in that position, Mr. Lemme check why are you being so possessive about this wallet? Any secret?"