Chapter 21 - "Back to the track..."

I locate Bhai sitting on the sofa. His expression is not giving any good vibe to me. My eyes automatically seek the wall clock. It's 11:15 pm. I have never been so late in coming back home. Though Bhai has been always friendly to me throughout my life and never put any restriction on my lifestyle punctuality and maintaining family decorum always take priorities in his rules. Neither I have disappointed him in this matter. I sheepishly shift my stare at him.

"Oh...I...I went to...I mean...I didn't realise that it is so late. Sorry, Bhai..."

My voice is shaky because he is scrutinizing me like a typical suspicious elder brother. He gets up from the sofa and saunters at me. I bend down my head in hesitation. Somehow, I am feeling guilty and I can't meet his penetrating eyes.

"You didn't answer my question. Why did you have to sneak into your own house? Have you done any mistake? Because only a guilt-ridden person tries to hide own-self from the other's eyes."

His words stiffen my nerves. Without gazing up I mutter,

"I went to meet Manik. I thought that I will be able to come back before you but Manik was not at his home so I waited for him for almost one hour and that's why I became late. I am sorry about that."

I try to explain myself though I am still feeling guilty for hiding things from him. But how can I say that it is not the only reason for being late? I can't say to my elder brother that Manik and I spent some unexpected intimate moments too. Some second's silence engulfs the surrounding and Bhai suddenly says,

"Nandi, I know you are a grownup girl. You have your own thoughts and intellect. You can take your own decisions but always remember that a broken heart can never be healed by an intelligent mind. So, it's better to think with your mind rather than your heart. Because that's not its work. Don't rush to take any decision. Our rush in any relationship can lead us to take wrong decisions. I think I have made you understand that."

His voice is still serene. I gaze up for a moment to meet his profound eyes and immediately bend down my head while nodding in positive.

"Good..now freshen up and come for dinner. Today I altered my dinner time."

He heads the door. His tone has a tinch of amusement. I turn at him to observe his expression. Apology automatically comes out of my mouth,

"I am so sorry, Bhai. It will never happen. I am coming in a second."

He doesn't turn but his next words alter my ears red and hot.

"Change the shirt and wear yours. It would be embarrassing for you in front of the servants."

He leaves and my eyes fall on my attire. I am wearing Manik's oversized shirt. Shit. Which I wanted to hide from my brother; in reality, it was so prominent for him. I remembered how Manik tore my tee shirt today. It was so violent. It was not passion. It was something else. My mind again clouds with gloom. I approach the washroom with a tired body and mind.

.................................................

It's around 1 am on the clock. Cabir is still tossing and turning in his bed.

"Is Nandi doing right to rely on Manik so much? Looking at her anybody can say that they have gone quite far in their relationship. But isn't it so early? They have just met and moreover that we don't know much about his background. I don't want my sister to do the same mistake which I did in my life. No, she won't be able to bear those pains."

Cabir utters in his mind and again lies supine resting his hands on his chest.

"I have to know about him before taking any firm decision about their future. And for that, I have to meet him once more. Apart from that, I have to try to meet his sister too. I heard that she is mentally ill. Still, I have to meet her to get a complete picture of his family background."