Chapter 4 - "The vow..."

"Sir, your lunch is ready. Should I lay the table?"

Cabir's PA Samantha asks in hesitance as she knows her boss doesn't like to be disturbed during his works. He is a workaholic.

"Hmmmmm?....No....I have some work to finish. You go and have your lunch."

Cabir says without shifting his eyes from the laptop screen. Samantha sheepishly glances at the wall clock. It is 4:00 pm. She already has had her lunch. After a few second Cabir feels something awkward. He lifts his face just to locate Samantha still standing in her previous place in an attention position. He crunches his eyes in annoyance.

"What?...Do you have anything to say?"

His voice is ruffled.

"Sir, Nandini Ma'am called me to ask if you have had your lunch. She told me to report her back."

She informs with a confused face. Cabir looks at her for a while.

"This girl or should I say my little mother spies on me even she is not around. She even appointed some envoys to report her about my movement. God..."

Cabir signs and beckons Samantha to get lunch. Samantha gives a bright grin of relief and leaves in a hurry. Cabir throws the pen on the table and pulls the drawer to take out a packet of cigarette. However, he can't find it inside so inserts his hand further. Suddenly something sharp pricks his fingertip. He pulls back his hand with a jerk. A blood drop is oozing out from the corner of his middle finger. He sucks it and tries to look inside the drawer. A photo frame is kept inside. Its sharp corner might prick his finger. He carefully slides his hand inside the drawer and takes out the frame. There is a photo of a girl in the early twenty's. He caresses it with a rueful grin.

"You still aren't fed up of hurting me?"

He murmurs with brimming eyes. Wiping them he again slides the photo frame inside the drawer. He closes it with a thrust and locks it with gritted jaws. It seems like he wants to hide a corner of his heart even from his subconscious mind.

........................................

I am vacantly staring at my laptop screen. The geometric lines on the screen seem like dancing hypnosis spirals. I close my eyes and lean back in my seat. However, I don't get a respite. Nandini's swollen lips flash in front of my eyes.

"Damn...I can't work like this. I am not being able to take her out from my head. It was an impulse reaction...but why does it feel weird to take it as an impulse reaction? Is it because this was my first kiss? I never felt in the way I started to feel for this girl? My body and mind instantly react whenever I come in her proximity. What is this feeling called? Lust?...No it can't be mere lust. Then love?...Not at all. We just met and I don't believe in love at first sight.Why don't you ask her? If she is feeling in the same way."

My inner God suggests.

"But she has been avoiding me since that kissing thing happened."

I mumble unmindfully.

"So what? She hasn't fired you yet. That means she wants you to be around."

My optimistic mind gives logic.

"I think I should talk to her. I have to know her mind."

I say to myself and pick the intercom receiver.

"Yeah...I want to meet Ms Nandini Murty. Is she free? Can I go to her cabin?"

I ask the receptionist. She takes some minutes to confirm.