Chapter 13 - "Pursuit of happiness..."

"You laugh because you think it is a joke. I laugh because you think I am joking."

My words temporarily shut her giggling mouth but I have doubt she can even now smell my sarcasm.

"What do you mean by that Manik? Nandini Ma'am is really not coming to the office for the entire week. I can't believe this. The person, who never takes even a half-day off, suddenly took looooong break. Surprising!"

Ayesha sits on the chair with a thud. Her skirt automatically lifts and I shift my eyes with a usual annoyance. This girl does this purposely or ignorantly? I have a doubt.

"She took a loooong break because she broke her ribs. And don't forget that it's only her break, not for the office and its employee. We even have to work more this week as Aman is also in leaves. Now, tell me about the appointments and the meetings that Ms Murthy is going to handle this week. In her absence, I will be handling all."

I order her with authority and concentrate on my laptop screen. Though Nandini has briefed me about her work for the week I want to manage it more professionally. Having no response, I look at Ayesha again. My brows furrow in a query.

"Manik, as you are handling Nandini Ma'am's entire work, why don't you sit in her cabin? I mean...for this week you are the boss."

She shrugs with a smug smile. Perhaps she thinks that her words will make me happy.

"Ayesha, I don't have any intention or wish to become the boss of this office or this company. I am very much happy and complacent with my work. It's our company and our work and dedication is more important rather than the designation. Now, please do me the favour as you are asked for and don't spend your imagination in such baseless things."

I utter the last line with authority. She should know without sitting in a chair or cabin a person can handle the office efficiently. She is taken aback and immediately gets up to bring the documents I demanded. She takes 5 to 10 minutes to return but as she enters in my cabin a loud sound of falling something heavy on the ground startles both of us. The sound comes from the conference room adjacent to my cabin. We both rush out to see. I observe some other people also get up from their terms. They also heard the thudding sound. I enter the conference room. Some others follow me. The framed photograph which hangs on the conference room wall has fallen on the floor. I carefully near it because it has fallen flat on its face and perhaps the glass is smashed. I squat down and try to turn its downside up.

"Be careful Mr Malhotra, it can cut your hand."

Ayesha shows her concern but thankfully she addresses me as Mr Malhotra. Otherwise, it won't be late to spread as a new gossip in the office and My Jerry is ever ready to battle with me in this matter. I carefully turn the frame and as suspected, the glass is shattered in numeral pieces. I ask the peon to get me some newspaper and as he gets them I wrap the frame in it. It has to be sent to some photo studio to frame it again. I ask all the people to not tell about this to Nandini. I want to surprise her. When she will return in her work, this photo will be in this room with a new look. I somehow didn't like the frame. It's good that it's broken. But the funny thing is, I still don't know whose photo is this. During this one month, I never asked her about it and she never told me either. We both never thought that it is important. But today I feel that urge to know.

"Ayesha, do you know, whose photo is this? I mean any family member of Ms Murthy?"

I finally enquire. The conference room is now empty. Only I am standing with the paper wrapped frame and Ayesha is about to leave the room. She halts and turns to hear me.

"Yes, once Ma'am told me. He is her grandfather. But he is no more now."

.................................................