𝕏𝕏𝕏𝕍𝕀𝕀𝕀

Hecate decided the Zodiac needed a break. So, for two days, the Signs recuperated.

Leo had to be locked into his room. It was hard for everyone, hearing him scream and plead and scratch and break. Hecate only let Libra inside to soothe him as best as she could without taking off the amulet.

Scorpio never left Virgo's side. She stayed in her room for most of the day in bed. No one ever knew what they did in there, and if Scorpio was ever caught leaving her room, he'd only send a glare to keep someone from asking. No one bothered them, not even Hecate.

As for Cancer, she just wanted to be left alone.

After the attack, she was unable to shift back. Phil had told her her wolf was her natural form, and if she was too hurt or under stress, she'd stay that way. So, she laid down int the Field, breathing slow.

I lost.

The two words rocked her insides and made her whine. She should have been able to take down Leo with ease. Sure, he was bigger than her, and yes, he was deranged in that animal form... but Cancer should have won. At least she thought she did.

Her fur was matted where he scratched her. There was a large bandage around her neck when he bit her... Cancer couldn't stop thinking about it. Her eyes squeezed shut.

Why didn't I bite back?

The answer was right there, but Cancer growled at herself for it.

"Cancer, dear," Pisces called. The little Sign sat beside her, curled up into Cancer's fur. She never left her friend's side, even when the sky grew dark with Cancer's mood. "You did your best. Don't ask yourself of more."

It's hard... I've always been like this. Poor little Cancer, everyone has to take care of her and watch out for her... why can't I just do it myself?! The one opportunity I get to prove myself... I blow it.

"Cancer?" A new voice called. Cancer - with a grunt - craned her neck to see Hecate walking toward her. Her coils were separated into two large puffs, making her look younger. Capricorn was at her side, following her. He had that same mindless appearance that cast over him, and that made Cancer's fur bristle. "You're upset..."

Cancer didn't answer right away. She only watched Cap sit down on a nearby tree. She growled at Pisces when the blind woman answered for her. "She's beating herself up."

Hecate's warm smile contorted. "Oh, dear..." She whispered and kneeled to pet Cancer's snout. "Cancer, you aren't to blame. You fought well... I should have guessed there was something wrong with Leo... this is my fault, and my fault alone."

Cancer protested with another huff. I wasn't strong enough to stop him.

"Nonsense," Hecate argued.

Cancer's eyes widened. You can understand me?

"I can," Hecate chuckled. "I can speak to dogs of all kinds."

Oh... I see.

"That's beside the point though, Cancer. You are not weak, and you never have been. You are a part of a chain, and without you, that chain is useless. I don't want you to believe otherwise."

Cancer sniffed. Thank you, Hecate... that does mean a lot.

Hecate was silent for a moment, then reached up to scratch behind her ear. "You may not believe me now, and I understand that. There were a lot of things that I didn't believe about myself when I was young like you."

Cancer's ears raised, and Pisces leaned into the goddess's voice. Like what?

"My mother, my father, Lady Nyx... they all believed I was capable of so much change. It was a heavy burden that I didn't understand. It took me timelines... and I'm still learning. From Virgo, Phil, the rest of you... the universe is full of lessons."