𝕏𝕍

11:57...

11:58...

Aquarius didn't take his eyes off his analog clock. He was shaking from excitement and anticipation. Almost there...

11:59...

12:00!

Midnight! Aquarius cheered, immediately running to his mirror and looking at himself. His hair was still brown, and still went down to his back. His eyes were still brown, too. He had a feeling his reawakening wouldn't be as soon as the clock struck midnight. Still, it left him a little disappointed.

Leaving his room, he wandered to the kitchen to get something to eat. He had missed dinner because of his clock-staring, which was fine. His father most likely only heated up leftovers, or not even eaten at all.

Aqua stopped when he saw his father, Philander, idly spreading mayonnaise on slices of bread. He looked horrible, with baggy eyes and stiff movements. Aqua had to cast his eyes away.

Every day since the terrible light in the sky, Phil had seemed to grow more tired and jumpy. Aqua - and the rest of the small town - knew him to be a sporadic man, but Aqua never thought he was... paranoid.

Why is he so nervous about the light? Does he know what it is? If so, why won't he talk to me about it?

"Aquarius," Phil asked, his guarded eyes still fixed on his sandwich. "Why are you just standing there?" Finally, he looked up. Aqua couldn't meet his eyes. "Are you alright?"

Are you alright? Aqua wanted to answer his dad with a question of his own, but stopped himself. Now isn't the time... I'll get answers soon. "Yeah." Aqua nodded. "I've been fine."

Phil smiled, then peered back at his sandwich. "Ah, I forgot to make dinner. Want this sandwich? I can take the mayo off."

Aqua raises his hands. "No, Dad, you have it." Phil smiled and took a bite, chewing slowly. "You should get to bed. Don't you have work in the morning?"

"I do," Phil sighed. "But I just couldn't sleep..."

Aqua dared to ask, "Why?"

"Oh, you know," Phil's eyes wandered past Aqua. His father's mind was always an enigma, even more so now that Phil had grown antsy. "I was thinking about you."

Aqua's eyes widened. "Me?" Phil never worried about his son. It was the main reason why Aqua grew to be so independent. "Dad, I'm fine-"

"I know, I know..." Phil's sigh turned into a weak chuckle. "It's just... you'll be 21 soon, you're growing up so fast and... I feel like it'll disappear soon..." Phil leaned against the counter. Aqua bit his tongue. "Ah, it's probably nothing. You should go to bed, Aqua. You have classes in the morning."

Aqua sucked in his cheeks, nodding. He hasn't been to class in days, too busy hanging out with friends and observing magic and pestering Hecate for more answers about everything she told them. "Goodnight, Dad."

Grabbing his sandwich, Phil nodded once before heading into his small room.

Alone again, Aquarius's stomach growled. He decided that dinner wasn't necessary and grabbed an apple from the fridge. Making sure his steps were faintly heard, he made his way back to his room.