𝕏𝕃𝕍

Scorpio rolled his shoulders as he followed Ophiuchus down a long hallway. He wasn't sure how long it had been since his true life had been revealed to him, but every time the Sign tried to think about it, his head started to throb.

Instead, he decided to distract himself with his new sister. She had been talking, laughing, telling stories about their childhood days ever since they left the library. Her head was held higher, and even from behind her, Scorpio could see a special gleam in her fanged smile. "It took many Mortal days to get those mud stains out of you and Lady Cecilia's garments! My were the maids full of rage!" After that particular story, she covered her mouth as her laugh filled the halls.

Scorpio couldn't help himself, he laughed with her. Despite his confusion, his comfort with his sister returned to a familiar warmth, as if he had known her all this time. Still, hearing his mother's name had pierced him like poking an open would, and it made him quiet down. Most of Ophi's stories involved her, and every time Scorpio heard Cecilia, it made him internally shiver.

Ophiuchus stopped walking upon the silence and turned to face him. "You have silenced your giggles. For why, brother?" Scorpio looked away, and Ophi cupped his cheek with a soft, scaly hand. "No longer do we hold secrets. You may speak as you wish, and I will reply."

Scorpio sighed, holding her hand against his face. "I..." He started. "What happened to our mother? I thought..." Ophi started to look red, thick, and blurry. "I thought she'd be here, you know? Maybe I had too much hope..."

"Ah, you still hold pain for her loss..." Ophi pulled him in, and he hugged her with a tight grip. "Forgive me, brother. I should be more aware of your heart."

He smiled in his shoulder, getting up with a slow, shaky breath. "It's okay. I'll be fine... but I need to know. In... in the Mortal Realm... she was killed."

Ophi nodded once. "The same happened in your life here. You found her in a dungeon... as nothing but ashes. The Cursed Realm wept that day. Though she was not Queen, she was of worth for the King." As she spoke, she turned and continued to walk, wiping her own eyes. Scorpio took an extra step to walk beside her now. "The next Mortal day, I will take you to her maddening place. Would that soften your heart, brother?"

"I... I think so." Scorpio hoped a maddening place would be something he would recognize, but the thought of properly mourning his mother made him smile. Back on Earth, Scorpio could hardly visit her grave due to all of his school activities - after hours included. "Thank you."

"It is no trouble, brother." Ophi smiled up at him. "As your elder, it is my duty to keep your heart full, as I've stated before."

"I don't think you'll let me forget."

"I will not."

They passed a portrait again, and this time, Scorpio stopped in front of it. It looked to be old, considering how small the Sign looked in his father's lap. Ophi was standing beside them, in front of the Queen. No one was smiling. Seeing the Queen's nasty scowl, pointed ears, and striking lightning eyes made a cold chill creep down Scorpio's spine. "Too bad Dad got stuck with that bitch, right?" He retorted with a lazy thumb pointing to the portrait.

Scorpio didn't expect his sister to let out a stiff huff. "I am aware that you are mindless at this time, so I will not let my rage control me. However," Her tone hardened, and Scorpio swore her snake eyes started to glow. "I will only remind you this once, brother. The Queen is my mother. Keep from spoiling her name in your mouth."

Scorpio's jaw dropped. "What?! But you kept-"

"-calling you brother, because you are my brother. But only through the King. He needed an heir for his throne, so he chose his finest succubus to bear his fruit. Have you noticed I do not crave intercourse as you do?" Scorpio didn't reply, but his stomach growled yet again. "Exactly. We are of similar origin, but not of same origin."