07 | 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐌𝐈𝐒𝐄𝐒

AFTER CARSON HAD LEFT THE CONFERENCE ROOM, he made sure to keep to himself for the rest of the day to stop people from distracting him. There was no way he was going into this mission unprepared, not when other people were putting their lives on the line for him. And besides he couldn't stand hearing one more person's attempt at trying to get him to stay behind at the compound.

Once he had finished his training, he snuck into Tony's office and grabbed as many files as he could from Fury's briefcase then took them back to his room. Even if it meant that he had to be there all night, then so be it. If he was to be encountering Hydra again he needed to make sure that he studied every single detail about this case. The Hydra agents, their history, what they had seemed to be assigned to, the locations of the hideouts, the scientists that became involved. The more files he dove into, the more he realised that this whole thing was actually a lot bigger than what Fury had led on.

Fury you son of a bi-

A soft knock came on her door, pulling his attention away from the file that was in his hand. Carson sat up looked over his room at all the files and papers that were messily dotted around, he quickly gathered the files that was on his bed and attempted to hide them before whoever it was came in. He heard his door click open figured that it was Fury coming to ask him if he had anything to do with the files being taken.

"Alright so funny story actually-" He paused and raised a brow in surprise when saw Wanda opening the door.

"Oh, hi."

"Hi." Wanda quietly closed the door behind her.

"Is everything alright?" Carson asked moving some of the papers around.

"I couldn't sleep so I.." Wanda paused and looked around at the files dotted around the room. She mentally kicked herself for coming to his room, thinking she was being selfish. He was clearly dealing with a lot and her going to his room over the fact the couldn't sleep now felt foolish to her. And to make it worse, now that she was actually here she had no clue what to do or say.

Carson smirked as he looked at Wanda having a mental war with herself, watching as the gears turned in her head.

But instead of saying anything he simply just moved some files over to his side of the bed to make room, pulled back the covers and tilted his head towards the now free space before turning his attention back to the file that was still opened in his lap.

Wanda let out a breath and smiled then made her way over to the bed, sitting with her back against the headboard just as Carson was.

"I uh.. also wanted to check if you were alright, after what happened earlier." She gestured towards his hands, referencing the incident with the table. "No one's really heard from you at all today, not since this morning."

"I know, sorry." Carson sighed. "I mean you heard Fury, we're going to be going out on this mission pretty soon so I just needed to do as much research as possible."

"Is that what all this is?" Wanda looked around his room at all the files scattered about.

He nodded and leant his head back onto his headboard. "I can't let anything go wrong on this mission Wanda, I can't."

"So you're definitely coming with us?" She asked, hoping that there was chance of him saying no.

"Yeah."

Wanda's hopeful smile was replaced by a slight frown and she looked away from Carson and down at her hands. Part of her was hoping that he'd listen and stay back at the compound where it was safe but she deep down she knew that there was no changing his mind. He was way too stubborn for that.