08 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐌 [𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐎𝐧𝐞]

CARSON'S EYES fluttered open slowly as he came back into consciousness, the harsh light in the room making his face scrunch up in discomfort. With a groan, he sat up and took in his surroundings, realising that he was in a cell.

Yay. Fun.

Carson got to his feet, stumbling slightly and having to lean against the wall while he took a second to recover. He made his way over to the glass door and started to slam his fist against it to see if it would give. Of course, it didn't budge.

The effects of whatever was in the tranq dart seemed to still be effecting him, so his using his powers for anything would be ruled out for a while.

He paused for a moment and tried to fill in the gaps of what had happened. But everything was still foggy. He had no idea how he got there, or where the hell he actually was. The last thing he could remember was what happened back at Melina's house, how he was shot before he managed to check on... shit.

"Natasha!" He called out. "If you're in here then you gotta let me know you're okay, alright?"

"Carson?" Alexei replied groggily from the cell to his left.

Carson inhaled sharply and leant his forehead against the glass. Yeah, sure, he was kinda glad that Alexei wasn't dead but still, he wasn't his top priority.

"Yeah, it's me." He replied.

"Alexei, Carson?" Natasha's voice was heard, making Carson's head snap up.

"Nat?" Carson let out a sigh of relief. "Are you alright? You're not hurt are you?"

"No, no, I'm fine." Natasha responded. "I think."

"Is Yelena with you?" He asked the woman.

She paused for a moment. "No."

"Natasha..." Alexei started. "I can't save us. I need you to know that I'm sorry. I pledged my life to a cause. You know, I thought I was being very brave, possibly the bravest. But I wasn't being brave. I was coward."

Carson rolled his eyes at the sound of Alexei sobbing and sat down with his back against the glass of the cell, he just had to be next door to this idiot didn't he?

"In Cuba when they came and took you away from me... no cause is worth that." The man let out a breath. "You should only sacrifice yourself, for something—"

The doors to all the cells suddenly slid open, cutting Alexei off.

Carson fell backwards onto the floor and leant up on his elbows looking around in confusion. He turned his head to the side, watching as Natasha walked towards him.

"How did you do that?" Alexei asked in astonishment.

Carson stood up but never took his eyes off Natasha, his head tilting and eyes narrowing slightly as he looked her up and down. Something wasn't right. The way she was carrying herself. It was different. She was different

"You're not my Natasha." He stated.

"Correct." Natasha... well, fake Natasha replied. She turned her attention toward Alexei. "I'm the one who designed these cells Alexei, I know everything about them."

The woman raised a hand towards the side of her head, pressing a concealed button. She pulled off a facial prosthesis mask and a wig, revealing her true identity. It was Melina.

Great. Now Carson was stuck with two people he didn't particularly like and still had no idea where Natasha and Yelena were.

"Whaaaat? What?" Alexei looked at her shocked. "I bared my soul to you... and it was just you the whole time?"