04 | 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆'𝐒 𝐖𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄

IT WAS early morning and Carson was sat down on the couch beside Wanda, who was getting a check up on her pregnancy by the doctor.

"Hmm." The doctor hummed as he moved over the stethoscope. Wanda and Carson exchanged a few glances, not being able to tell if the doctor seemed worried or content.

"So..." Carson looked at the man, waiting for him to say something.

"Yep!" The doctor nodded and stood up. "Definitely pregnant."

"Wow, what a brilliant observation—" Carson's sarcastic comment was cut off by Wanda hitting his chest with the back of her hand. "I mean... oh really? That's great." He shot Wanda a glare and she laughed.

"Isn't it just?" The man smiled.

"I do have to ask though." Carson addressed the older man. "This whole thing was pretty sudden, in fact it was practically overnight. We're just a little confused as to how this all happened."

"You see," The doctor started to explain. "When a man and a woman love each other very much."

Carson gripped the bridge of his nose. "Oh for the love of god."

"Well, we're just tickled pink, or blue." Wanda got to her feet and so did Carson as he helped her up.

"You're at about four months now. Is that right?" The doctor checked.

Carson shook his head while Wanda nodded. The couple made eye contact and Carson quickly corrected his answer and nodded along instead.

"I thought as much." The doctor continued. "We let the little ladies keep tabs on their growing babies with fruit. Makes it simple for them."

Wanda and Carson gave each other a look at the doctors words.

"At four months, the foetus is about as big as a pear. At five months, a papaya. Six, a grapefruit. Seven, pineapple. Eight, honeydew!"

"Yeah, that's great. Really great..." Carson chuckled dryly. "But what about, this is completely hypothetical of course, what size would it be in... say twelve hours?"

The doctor looked at him confused. "Uh, pardon? Twelve hours?"

"Well, I think this line of questioning is fruitless." Wanda joked and started walking to the front door to show the doctor out.

Carson followed behind. "Well, hypothetically speaking, should we be concerned?"

The doctor placed his hand on Carson's shoulder. "Hypothetically speaking, every new father-to-be gets nervous."

Wanda smiled. "Carson, why don't you see the doctor out?"

Carson nodded and started walking the man to the door. "Thank you for stopping by, Doc."

"Well, I'm just glad you caught me in time." The doctor said as he walked out onto the driveway with Carson. "I'm taking the wife on vacation this afternoon."

"Well I hope you both have a good time." Carson noticed Herb trimming one of his flower bushes. "Oh, hi Herb."

Herb waved. "Hey buddy."

Carson turned back to Dr. Neilson. "Listen, could you keep the news of Wanda's pregnancy between us three? Everything's happening so quickly and we'd like to keep the news just in the family right now."