Chapter 34. Running Back Into You...

Hello, the name is Dawnette. Dawnette Keys. I was born in Manhattan, New York and raised in Encino, California. I'ma singer, songwriter, producer, and musician. I can damned near do it all.

I consider myself a very prolific person. Ya know the creativity never stops for me. Late hours of the morning consume my time and my fingers are always gliding across the glossed black and white keys of a grand piano; sometimes with a notepad and pen present and sometimes not. I have a high frequency of keeping a mental note of anything I create on the spot. I call it a master's gift.

You see, this is an album with a variety of different genres and sounds. A little bit of jazz, R&B, and neo-soul topped with some 70s funk and hip-hop. I'ma lady of variety and if I wanna make it as far as I wanna succeed in this business, I gotta give the fans somethin' new and fresh—somethin' that they can feel and remember who had given them that new sound, feel me?

Dawnette Keys. Never stop saying my name. Keep this joint on heavy rotation. What you waitin' on? It's not gonna play itself. This is Songs in A Minor. Yeah... Keep that shit goin'. Just like that...

Welcome to my paradise of melody.

Piana & I: circa, 1992

**********

November 26, 1991

"Are you serious right now?" Dawnette could not believe what was happening.

"I'm serious as hell about this. I am in love with you. I want to make you my wife and spend the rest of my life with you. Baby, will you marry me?"

Dawnette was at a loss for words as her eyes, that glossed over with tears, bounced from the ring Michael held in his hand to his eyes that held such hope in them. Her mouth opened then closed shut and she done this a number of three times. All she could think at the moment is that he really wanted to take their relationship to the next level.

He was ready to marry her.

With her eyes glossing over, Dawnette nodded yes but the words somehow couldn't come through verbally.

"Yes?" Michael looks up at her with raised brows, making sure her answer is what she'd given to him.

She nodded again and this time, was able to crack a tearful smile. "Yes, baby! Yes, I'll marry you..."

The brief wait was over as Michael breathed out a sigh of relief as he removed the exquisite ring from the box and sliding it onto her slender finger hwere it belonged. He swiftly stood to his feet and engulfed his newly fiancée in his arms as they shared a passionate kiss that sent electrical shocks throughout his body.