Chapter 27. Running Back Into You...

After consoling Michael and calming him down from his fit of tears, the both of them migrated upstairs to her bedroom where she volunteered to carried his and Giuliana's bags to her room. Michael told Dawnette she didn't have to and that he could do it himself but being the guests in her home, she insisted. Michael changed into a pair of pajama pants and plain white t-shirt to sleep in. Dawnette had went to check on the kids and the both of them were knocked out sleep and she had finally returned, closing the door shut to her bedroom. Taking a seat on her bed resting against the headboard, she pulls Michael by the arm so that he could rest on her thighs.

"You're feeling okay, babe?" She asks him, rubbing his arm tenderly.

Nodding his head, he replies, "Yes," he sits up a little on his arm and stares into her eyes passionately, "thank you for being here for me and Ana. This means everything to us."

"It's no problem at all. I'm goin' to always be there for you Michael...and Ana. She's such a sweet little girl." Dawnette smiles and Michael returns it.

"Thank you once again."

Dawnette leans closer to his face and peck his lips twice. "I got you, Mike," she peck his lips again and pulls away, "you want to talk about it or no? You know I'm a listening ear when you need me to be."

Lying back down, he says, "I do but I don't. It's just that I'm still in shock after today. You know, witnessing her body all lifeless like that and trying to be revived did something to me, babe. I-I just want to not think about it right now, if that's okay."

"Of course that's okay, Michael. I only asked you that 'cause I wanted for you to express your deepest feelings about everything. But, I respect your decision. When you're ready, just let me know."

Michael set his eyes on Dawnette, biting down his bottom lip. "Why are you so perfect, Netty?"

This made Dawnette chuckle and shake her head, "I'm not perfect whatsoever but I do care a lot about you. I love you, Mike, and I always will, especially your daughter." She could see the tears brimming in his eyes yet he kept them at bay.

"You are to me and that's why I love you much more. Always."

For the rest of the night, they talked about any and everything just so that Michael could take his mind off of the passing of Geena. But, of course that was merely impossible because she held such significance to his heart. She was a friend and the mother of their daughter and the visual of her body kept constantly replaying in his head like a scratched record.

However, even for just a split moment, Dawnette was able to distract him from that by talking about more positive things and trying to make him laugh which she did succeed in doing. She knew he was still heavily thinking about Geena and she was going to help him and Giuliana step by step to move on in peace and accept her passing for what it is. It was going to take some time, but she will always be there for them as she knew they would for her and Kyan.

************

San Francisco, CA
Monday, March 7, 1991

It didn't take long for Gloria to arrange her daughter's funeral services with the help of Michael who paid for all the costs of it. He did informed his family of her passing and told them of her health conditions and they were deeply saddened by the news. His mother was hurt the most being that she wasn't able to speak to Geena since the whole ordeal between her and her family. It was never resolved and never will be...or so she thought.

As of now, Michael, Dawnette, the kids, Katherine, and Janet who was able to attend the services were all seated inside of small funeral home. Geena had a few friends from her hometown attending her service as well who were all in deep sorrow. Michael sat on the first row with Gloria who was dabbing away at her eyes while Giuliana sat in between them. He, too, was feeling the burning sensations of his tears threatening to fall, but he wanted to keep himself together and be strong for his daughter and her grandmother.