Chapter-1

(italic font- Spanish)

It's been a month since my life turned upside down. Everything good in my life was taken from me by the universe. HE was taken from me. The days following our breakup were pretty hard. I tried to get him to change his mind about his stand but I couldn't succeed. He was adamant about finding his soulmate now that we knew I wasn't the one.

Soulmates. A word I have grown to hate, the word that took the only thing I thought would be mine forever from me. It took away my dreams of a future with Eric, something I had since childhood, we both thought we would be endgame but guess not. Eric didn't seem much bothered by the fact that I wasn't the one. He removed himself from the equation of my life leaving me no choice but to accept. Even after he said we could stay friends, he knew I won't be content by just that, I wanted more. The last time we spoke, he said we could be friends again one day when I have finally accepted the fact that we won't be together and moved on with my life and, to be honest, I don't see myself doing it. Eric is someone I would always hold in my heart even if we're not together anymore and speaking of my soulmate, well, I don't want anything to do with them, let alone find them. They're the person I despise for taking my love away from me.

The sound of my phone ringing brought me back to reality, and I knew it was my mother calling to know about my well-being. I wasn't the only one the event took a toll on, my mother was hit pretty hard with the news of Eric not being my soulmate. She used to ship us since we were kids, she had all kinds of dreams made up. I rolled my eyes as I reached for my phone placed on the coffee table.

"hola, mama!" I answered.

"Selene, baby, how are you?" my mother asked. She has been checking up on me every day since she heard the news.

"I'm good mama, I was just packing for my trip. how are you? are you sure you don't wanna come with?" I asked. Being a single mother she has always tried not to make me feel the lack of my father, so I always try to include her in my life as much as I can.

"Yes, mi hija, I'm sure. I know you need this trip. And if I go, who would look after the business?" she answered and she is right, this trip is a necessity for my mental health. Considering she is a contractual florist, her business has grown quite big this past decade.

"Do get me some gifts from your trip, okay?" she demanded.

"yes, ofcourse mama. Take care. I have to finish packing, I have an early flight tomorrow." I said as I cut the call.

............I wake up to the sound of my alarm, rubbing my eyes I get up to go to the bathroom to get fresh. As I take my clothes off, I steal a glance at my soul mark in the mirror. It's pretty, there's no denying that, if only it connected me to Eric. I sigh, trying to ignore the ache in my heart.

I step into the shower, the cold water washing down my nerves as my mind wanders off to the phenomenon of soulmates.

Soulmates came along before I was even born. On the 22nd birthday of the younger soulmate, a mark appears on their body, on the ring finger of males, whereas it can appear anywhere on the female's body. When the younger one touches their soulmate after getting the mark, the older one gets theirs as well. The marks glow when soulmates touch each other and link their bond but only a kiss can seal their bond.

I turn off the shower and step out to get ready.

After an hour I'm waiting for my cab to pick me up as I read a text from my mom wishing me a safe flight.

Boarding my flight, I sigh as I take my seat in the first class. The flight is 14 hours long so I get comfortable, plugging in my headphones listening to Enrique Eglesias' discography. Eric loved his music, and I loved what Eric loved. I clutch my necklace, the last gift Eric gave me on the day everything fell apart. The memories of our time together, our silly food fights, drunk steamy makeout sessions, sweet date nights, our first I love you's, our first time, deep talks, teasing each other during the family functions, started flooding my mind and I sniffled as I wiped the tears off my cheeks.

The sound of a throat clearing made me open my eyes as I looked up to the flight attendant asking if I wanted something.

"A glass of red wine and some fruits would be fine, Thank you. " I answered.

She nodded and went to the back.

After eating, I asked for a blanket and decided to get some sleep and give a break to my tired body.