|01|

Oscar Atkins

A banging sound thrusts through my bedroom door, followed by the sound of Will's frantic shouting "Get up, prick. We're late to practice. Do you want to face coach's wrath and run laps the entirety of the practice?".

Will, Felix and I share an apartment relatively close to campus, a well-tiring walking distance, though I can guarantee for the past year and a half; we've rarely made it on time. Wouldn't be promiscuous to say, if speaking honestly, even never.

Which often results in getting in trouble with Coach Evans, she's a strict, ruthless woman in her mid thirties. Though looks can often be deceiving, I kid you not she can make us shit our pants with one look. Then torture us more for disciplinary reasons as she likes to put it.
I drag my body off of the bed and into the cold tiled bathroom, skipping and bouncing from the freezing ground touching my bare feet.

I do my business, quickly taking a jolting shower, tossing on a t-shirt and a pair of shorts since practice is first thing we have in the morning, then follow all the indoors classes.

I've been playing volleyball since I was in diapers, having inherited the passion for this sport since I was little, having lived with my family in Miami; the go to pass time in childhood for my large numbered cousins and I was always volleyball at the beach.

And once I grew up enough to make a decision for what I want to pursue in my life, career wise, I realized the first thing I wanted was volleyball. This is how I ended up at NYU, majoring in Psychology while being the spiker of our university' Volleyball team.

Getting out of the bathroom, I pick up my back-bag, containing my laptop, besides all the books and essential utensils for my other classes, then carrying my duffle bag in one hand, leaving the other one to hold my phone and keys.

"Nice of you to finally join us" Felix snorts sarcastically while texting on his phone, a new girl he's talking to this week, and we skip down the stairs so we can squeeze into the car, given that each of us is heavily above six feet tall. Plus all the back-bags and duffle bags we carry around. It's safe to say we resemble little giants on a trip than we do humans.

Practice went really well, too well for my liking since tonight we're playing Greenwill -our most viscous competitor-, the drills got all of us panting out of breath, red faces and sweaty bodies swamped into the locker rooms for essential showers.

As we make it through the narrow decorated corridors, all my mind can hear was the sound of coach Carter screaming at us, to higher our jumps, better our grip on the ball and basically to do all overly better if we wanted to secure today's win.

My mind drifts to the Psych. homework I still have to do for the week that I don't notice when I bump into someone. My shoulder square with theirs, I look up finding Tim Sulfaire, a junior who played with us in the back left wing.

"Watch where you're going" He threatens with his gravelly voice, flaring his nostrils to make him appear more intimidating, though it goes in vain, seeing I have a good couple of inches on him. He was a teammate, I didn't necessarily fancy the guy, though I respected him as a fellow harmless team member.

He puffs his chest out, in some attempt to scare me, but before I could say anything Will quickly steps in muttering a quick whatever while maneuvering us in a different direction.

Felix's eyes leave his phone, he raises a brow in question and we just shrug it off, granted he diverts his attention back to his device and Will and I decide -based on a single shared look- it was a good time to tease him.

"So, do tell us, who's this chick that got you hooked?" Will grins as his arm engulfs around Felix's shoulder in an attempt to spy off who's got him whipped this bad.

Felix reacts quickly, locking his phone and pocketing it, shrugging Will's arm off him, his expression giving nothing away.

I look at him curiously, waiting for him to spill the beans, he looks at us both individually before glancing at us both, "Fuck off" He grins in a dorky way and we both burst out laughing at his secretiveness, it sure as hell looks serious and we place a bet that he's coming clean in a week's time.

We enter and shower in the small cubicles, washing off the dirt and sweat off of today's drills, and make our way to our respectable classes each. Our unspoken promise to meet for lunch still intact.

•••

A/n:

How's that for a first chapter?
Also, who do you think Felix is texting? Drop your weirdest guess off;)