|16|

Oscar Atkins

Parking the car in the dead of the night, we make our way outside, with food bags in my hand. "Did you bring me out here to kill me?" Comes the sarcastic question from a very confused Talia.

"What do you know, I could probably do it and get away with it" I chuckle jokingly and she just shakes her head in dismissal.

"Seriously, what're we doing here, Oscar?" She asks eyes agape while looking at me from behind her lashes. I take a seat and pull her down with me, that we're seated next to each other; arms brushing.

Opening the containers of food, I decide to answer her question "This is my spot. I come here when everything gets too much and I need to pull back" I mutter honestly and she just bats her eyelashes while a gentle smile creeps up her face. "And you brought me here? Why?" She asks and I swear she's either just fucking with me, playing all innocent and oblivious or is actually dumb enough to not realize what she does to me.

Her eyes are holding mine expectantly, waiting for me to say the words, bring them into life. I sigh deeply before cleaning my mouth of any excess of food there might be and turn to her, facing her as I take her hands in mine "I like you" I finally confess, the weight of the seven seas is for once and for all off my back.

She eyes our joined hands before looking at me in an ethereal way, the light of the moon reflecting in her glimmering eyes and shiny hair.

"Won't you say something?" I manage to choke out after an embarrassing heart-stopping seconds of static silence. My heart is nearly leaping out of my chest by the time she opens her mouth.
"I... I like you too" She says and relief floods through me. Blood and air resume flowing and circuiting.

"But.. but I don't want to be hurt again" She squeaks out and I squeeze her hands "I'm not going to hurt you" I assure, genuineness shining through my tone.

"Promise?" Her big brown eyes question mine.

"Promise." I nod and tug her closer, hugging her tiny form into my chest, closing my arms around her in fear of waking up from a dream.

Still, if it ever were a dream, I don't think I'd ever want to wake up.

She enclasps her arms around my torso and I breathe in her addictive scent, kissing the top of her head, she leans in, squeezing the shit out of me but I would give anything to stop time, here and now.

"Come on, we should head back" I tell her after we watched the night sky together, counting stars and building constellations of our own.

She stands up, dusting herself off and I offer her my hand, while she accepts and offers me a smile that melts my insides in return.

I tug her up and bring her close to my body. Noticing the goosebumps on her arms, and by the shortness of the dress I take off my hoodie and slide it onto her, the fabric swallowing her whole. Damn, I don't know how she manages to master both hot and cute at the same time; somehow she does it effortlessly that my heart has no other option but to swoon.

We make it to the car, spending the whole drive hands intertwined, drawing lazy circles on each other's skin.

I park in front of her apartment, she turns to me like a little pup and kisses my cheek in her honey-like lips. The gesture takes me by surprise, that a goofy grin breaks through.

She just utters a quick shy 'good night' and exits quickly, skipping to her apartment, taking my heart out with her in the process. And I'm still left grinning like a fool, touching my cheek, tracing the skin where her mouth was and being in a state of bewilderment.
.
.
.
.
"Oscar. Oscar? Can you hear me?" I'm pulled back from the imaginary scenarios my mind built on its own, finding myself and Talia outside of the party.

She grabs my hands, checking my red bruised knuckles with worry flooding her features. I just punched a creep for her. But, then, everything following after felt so...real. It was all in my head.

The chilly breeze whipping at our bodies outside, the deafening music blasting from insides.. it all confirms that I just got a little carried away. Ok, I confess, a lot carried away.

But that means, Talia is still Talia, and I'm still Oscar. And we're still not dating. Seeing the look of pity on her face made me realize that I may have just blown my chances with her. Fan-fucking-tastic.

•••

A/n:

I'm single and it's starting to affect me:/

Lol. Initially this was the concept. Make them confess and lets get on with it.
Then, a wicked idea came to mind. How about we make it all a blur? Or a dream? Or something like that. So here we go.

When I said this was slow burn, I meant it. It's not only meant for the story, your hearts and mine besties;)