|29|

Talia Herera

I woke up today basically half asleep, due to the fact that last night I kept texting back and forth with Oscar until we fell asleep.

I'm not sure who caved in first, but somewhat around 3:30 a.m we dosed off to sleep. I woke up finding my phone on the floor, face down. Ughh.

It must've fell sometime when I thrashed at night. Super fun fact: I thrash endlessly, constantly, all the time when I'm asleep. It's not even something I do on purpose, it's uncontrollable...let's say I tried to fix it...by not sleeping. Stupid; pretty pointless too; I know.

But can you blame twelve year old me on thinking I had the ability to stop something that's unconscious?

After grabbing my phone, relieved to see nothing had happened to it, I set it on my bedside table and proceeded the bathroom to do my business.

I emerged fresh out of the shower, feeling as good as new. A good awakening shower at morning could never be considered a bad idea.

In addition, it provides that jolt of rush and motivation to take on the world that washing your face only could never compare with.

After getting dressed and prepared for my day, I rushed to the kitchen in order to grab something to eat, disappointed to see Sierra still cooking the omelette on the stove. I was behind schedule and didn't have time to wait around for it to finish.

I grabbed a banana quickly from the fruit bowl on the kitchen counter and galloped to the door -while muttering my quick goodbye to my roommate, fastening my steps sharply to reach the bus station in record time; I don't even want to break my record, making it there before missing the bus was sufficiently adequate.

Once I'm on the bus, all set and seated, I allow myself to breathe in and out like I'm not chased by a knife-holding psychopath in the middle of the road.

I settle comfortably in my chair, as much as public transportation offered comfort, and unlocked my phone to browse through it.

Suddenly, it rung out, coming loud in the closed confines of the vehicle, the screen lights up in Oscar's name and my heart does summersaults uncontrollably in my chest, blood pumping faster through my veins.

I pick up the call. "Morning, baby" Oscar greets and my smile widens thrice, probably looking like a freak to other boarding passengers.

"Good morning" I greet back, while a passenger upfront argues with the bus driver about something, Oscar asks on the line "What's that? Where are you?"

I chuckle at his curiosity "I'm on the bus, on my way to campus, I have three classes and then I'm done for the day".

"Why would you board the bus when your boyfriend is fully capable of giving you a ride?" He asks and I blush at him mentioning the word boyfriend.

I used to associate the word with passive aggressive, controlling, demanding, ownership. That's how I interpreted it when I used to date who shall remain nameless.

Now, I'm coming across that it can be supportive, loving, assuring, encouraging, partnership. It crazy how different people could change your mind about the same thing. But, that's what's happening with Oscar, it's like I'm rediscovering the realms of relationships all over again; except this time I'm doing it right, or rather with the right person.

"I don't want to be a bother. You have your practices and I don't want to swarm you, and you don't owe it—" I start but he interrupts "Baby, sorry for interrupting, but that's just not it. You're not an inconvenience. I'll just have to compare my schedule to yours and figure where it lines up" He offers snd I swear the woman two seats in front of me heard my heart nearly leaping out of my chest at the thoughtfulness he kindly possess.

"Ok, I'd like that. We should do it" I accept his offer and he hums in approval at my answer, which spreads heat in my stomach.

"What did you have for breakfast this morning?" Comes his sudden question. I recall back to my hasty steps and tell him "I didn't get to have Sierra's omelette this morning, I needed to catch the bus, so I grabbed a banana and that's it" I reply honestly and I can hear the sound of a horn on the other side of the line.

"I knew it, well, I'm bringing you breakfast. You like everything, right?"

"Umm, yeah, I'm fine with whatever, but you don't need to-" I was cut off by the sound of someone faintly saying "Good morning, what would you like to order?"

"I'll be waiting in the parking lot when you arrive, see you!" Oscar tells me, giving me zero chance to reply before finishing the call; most likely rushed to place an order.

Talking with Oscar really flowed easy that it almost made me forget about the sucky bus ride and the wandering thoughts swimming freely in the depths of my imagination.

The ride lasted only mere singular minutes after that with me staring out onto the ever changing scenery. Watching different cars blended in the road. Every car held a passenger, and each passenger had a functioning life that revolved around the same sun as any other, though each had a unique story that matched no other.

This was a moment of an epiphany, realizing in this cosmic universe, there were other people who lived life, who struggled, who fought and dealt with life besides me.

Abruptly after, I found the bricks I had memorized by heart now staring at me through the glass windows. I push the 'stop' button, the bus slowing down gradually before it came to a stop by my station. I climb down and start making my way to the gates of uni, fighting the chilly breeze of late autumn.

•••

A/n:

Aaand, another chapter delivered by yours truly;)