|04|

Talia Herera

After chem and two creative writing classes took a toll on me, I was finished for the day. I made out of campus into the parking lot and spotted Tim with some of his friends from the team. "Hey" I greet as I sneak up around him.

"Hey" He greets back with a cheery tone. "I'm just finished for the day and was heading back to the apartment. You wanna go together?" I ask him, hopefully he'll say yes.

"I can't, I'm headed to the guys' place so we can pregame. But I'll definitely see you tonight" He says and squeezes my hand slightly, my shell falls off and I nod despite the enlarged knot of disappointment clogging my throat.

A wave of nauseating feeling and god awkward terribleness hits me and I board the bus, lonely again, to my commute back home. I contemplated how was I going to manage my Chemistry homework, now piled atop of my expanding essays I still need to complete, even start writing the ones I haven't begun yet.

For a second I consider not going to the game tonight, then Tim's angry face flashes in my head. I don't want to get yelled at. I purse my lips, my teeth digging the skin apart; an unconscious developed habit of mine when frustrated.

When I came back, the apartment was eerily quiet that I almost thought Sierra wasn't home, maybe off to do the laundry or out shopping for groceries. Then came her whips of red hair and sweatpants into view. "Well, you don't look overjoyed. What happened?" She patted the space beside her on the couch, inviting me for a venting session that I gladly accepted as I threw down my shoes and skidded down on the couch next to her.

"I just feel stressed for the week. You know I had that essay to write" I start and she nods her head in understanding "Now, I have two more, plus my Chemistry homework" I huff, wishing organic chemistry didn't exist. The world would've been a much better place. You can't even fight me on it.

"I already stayed up three times this week. I've barely slept. Now, Tim wants me at his game tonight" I trail off.

She furrows her eyebrows at the mention of his name "well. Fuck Tim" She spits rather aggressively, I gasp and hit her arm with the back of my hand "Si, he's my boyfriend" I plead with her with my eyes.

"A shitty one for that matter" It's no secret that she despises him. Ever since I introduced them, she claims there's this 'off' air about him. I just shrugged it off, as to the normal harmless boyfriend vs. best friend stand off.

Getting up, I decided to change the topic of the conversation "On another note, what are we wearing tonight?" I can tell by the gleam in her eyes that I succeeded in changing the topic, lifting the charged air of the atmosphere.
Meet my best friend: Sierra Thompson. A fashion designer student. Contrary to her sweatpants and t-shirt combo indoors, she refuses to go out unless she goes all out, pun intended.

She stands up as well, dragging me along so we stood side by side in front of the closet. She glances at the clock hung on the wall, smirking boldly, seeing we still had about three hours until we had to leave.

"Come on, don't be shy. I'll make sure to turn that smelly volleyball court into our own fashion show" She says as she opens the handles, diving straight in to create the perfect outfits for us for tonight.

As fiery and crazy she was, I loved her more for it.

"While we hunt for outfits, how about you tell me about loverboy?" I catch her off guard. She thought I forgot about her little ordeal earlier in the morning; I haven't.

She blushes while inspecting a pair of heels for the alleged after party "What do you want to know?" Comes out her little voice. As fierce and outspoken she was, she is still shy with touchy feely subjects.

"Everything. Now spill" I threaten joyfully and she laughs.

"Ok, so you know when last weekend Lena and I went out to a party while you stayed in?" She asks and I nod, I had to stay up to finish a project for Chemistry. Ah, the ruiner of my life.

"Yeah, so that night I met him. His name's Felix and we kind of flirted drunkenly with each other and have been texting non stop ever since" She bites her lips awaiting my reaction.

"Wait, which Felix?" I ask, combing my mind through the multiple Felixes in our university.

"Felix Fortes" She admits lowly.

"Volleyball Felix!" I chant, bewilderment evident in my tone of speech.

She nods slowly, her cheeks reddening, almost matching her hair.

"But I heard he's a player" I voice out my thoughts.

"Not everything people say is true, besides it's nothing serious, we've only been talking for a few days" She shrugs it off, but I sense it's not as minuscule and insignificant as she portrays it to be.

"Well, all the more reason to get dolled up tonight. After all he's going to be on the court" I retort, smiling widely now.

She just shrugs and breaks out smiling like a puppy, I shake my head laughing and step closer. Reaching my hand to examine what good options may be for tonight.

•••

A/n:
Drama. Drama.
Oh, what can I say?