|19|

Talia Herera

The second we set foot into the bakery, we're immediately hit with the hot air of bread and the smell of flour reigning the area. It only adds to the coziness of the place.

The bakery wasn't large in size nor minute, it was perfectly sized with booths scattered throughout the place, plus a counter in a corner. All the colors were nudes; either brown or beige or a tone in either shade. Soft music bagged up the silence, while the throwback wooden floors creaked under the thumping of our footsteps; besides us, the place was pretty much empty.

All in all, it seemed like a perfect spot for university students to hangout. The smiling barista brewing coffee only encouraging our first impression about how laid back and cool this place appears.

We file into a booth to the side, because who in their right state of mind sits at the middle. Never. Always make sure to occupy a side booth.

We squeeze in, given the size of the couch, and we pick up the menus, each going through contemplating the different choices they offered and what to order.

"Hey, I'm Sam, and I'll be your waitress today. Do you want to order now?" The teenage girl chirps happily, accompanied by a pen and pad to write down the costumers' orders.

"Yes, hi. We'd like a few more minutes please, we're still checking out different things" Sierra communicates on our behalf. I smile, knowing she's the most articulated one here, moreover the best at handling conversations with strangers.

"Hurry up guys, I'm famished" Complains Will, rolling his eyes when Felix takes his time in checking the menu like it's a book.

Oscar snickers from beside me and I pop a question "And you got your order all figured out, Mr. Grumpy?" I snap at him while he grins "Obviously, I'll just ask for her recommendation and then maybe her number later, an—" We burst out laughing before he finishes his sentence. Typical Will.

"Very nice. Just make sure she's not underage for starters, and that she's interested" Chuckles Oscar while patting Will on the back.

"Very funny. Says the guy who can't even tell the girl he's interested in about his feelings even though she's basically sea—" Will is interrupted for a second time, this time by Oscar clamping his hand securely at his mouth; successfully shutting him up before he's able to spit out any useful info.

I noticed his stiff back, the threatening look in his eyes for Will, like he's actually nail him on a stick if he wasn't careful with his mouth.

Sierra and Felix have amusement dancing on their faces mixed with a tinge of mirth and mischief, both snickering at the childlike behavior.

A few minutes later, past all the joking and teasing, we're ready to order. Sam writes down each of our orders on the pad snd leaves to disappear behind the counter while she assures us the food will be out shortly.

True to her word, the food started sauntering out on trays, snd we all eye it up like puppies on a diet seeing cookies for a first time in a year. My mouth waters at the heavenly sight of food.

Brown godly-smelling cookies for heart-eyed Sierra, golden omelette for a starving Will, Caramel Nespresso for a grinning Felix, a muffin for and a cup of coffee for Oscar, and lastly, a cup of chamomile tea for me.

My mouth grows wet at the sight of food, and even though I ate before I came, suddenly I'm overwhelmed with the need to eat something; maybe try stealing a cookie or two from Sierra.

I sip on my tea wordlessly, watching Will as he munches on the food, stuffing his face more and more. I observe silently up until I'm offered something.

I look into Oscar's eyes, questioning his muffin held up in my face "It's really good, you should try it" He says and I nod, taking the muffin from his hand and taking a bite. It's really delicious and I moan at the taste.

Oscar's looking at me with eyes heavy with emotions I couldn't even begin to decipher, and I flush at the inappropriate thoughts swarming my mind.

I find myself munching the whole thing in a matter of mere minutes, just as I was about to offer my apology to Oscar, about finishing his food, I'm surprised to find him already staring at me, while sipping on his cup of coffee.

"I'm sorry I ate your muffin" I begin.

"Nonsense. If it gets you this happy, I'll bring you here everyday" He confesses seriously and the twinge in my chest squeezes tighter at his sweetness. I nod appreciatively.

Suddenly, his hand darts out to my face, his fingers rubbing my lips and I freeze at the touch, my head spins dizzily and my heart nearly leaps out of its ribcage.

"There was umm, something on your mouth" He justifies and I nod comprehensively, avoiding looking into his eyes, in fear of becoming trapped there with no way out.

•••

A/n:

I'll have to admit,
this chapter was super cute.
Do you think so?