|11|

Oscar Atkins

By the time the weekend was over, Monday rolled around with more boring classes as usual.

As I make it out of class, I notice Felix in the hallway, so I head towards his direction and we walk around silently to this little cozy cafe on campus, where students appreciate the good coffee and cheap prices.

We take a booth to the side, each ordering a black coffee, and as if last week was happening all over again, he busies himself texting on his phone. I sigh and prop my face on my hands, laying them on the table and wait for his majesty to notice my presence.

When he finally does, he looks from behind his phone, quirking an eyebrow "What?" He asks.

"Dude, who have you been texting nonstop?" I voice the question aloud.

"None of your business" He answers monotonously, almost robotically and I narrow my eyes into slits "Well, if it's not Sierra, then it is my business" I make it clear that I won't entertain him cheating on the girl who he just came from her apartment this morning. By the way they were acting and cozying up, I know this isn't just some casual hookup. Sierra wasn't like that either. So, if he takes advantage or leads her on I'll be happy to kick his ass and knock some sense into his head.

He puts the phone down, facing me now, and runs his fingers through his hair "Look man, you're right. And I am texting Sierra. I know she's not just random chick that I can hit and quit. Besides, the girl got me bewitched. I can't think of anything beside her. When I'm awake, when I'm asleep. Heck, even during Volley practice all I see is her" He answers honestly, and I think I might know what disease my friend just caught.

"Dude, I think you're falling in love" I say in a gentle way, knowing that Felix and love rarely exist in the same sentence. Felix doesn't do love. That's what he's always said. I guess this now changes things.

"I know" He says and I take a look at him, he's pursing his lips, fingers twitching anxiously.

"And? What're you thinking? Do you want this?" I ask warily, trying to analyze his feelings. I was playing therapist way ahead of my time.

"Fuck, I don't know. I know I want her, but I don't want get tangled up in a casual thing only for her to dump my ass in a few months" He voices his insecurity and I nod in comprehension. He looks at me, and then I see it, the look of utter uncertainty in his eyes. The indecisiveness, the hesitation. He's clueless as a newborn puppy when it comes to relationships.

"Well, if you really think that, than you should go talk to her. Communicate your feelings and tell her how serious you are. Girls love that shit. I'm sure it'll be fine and in a few years I'll be best man in your wedding" I offer some advice and comfort and he nods, though he seems so far away, floating in a foreign world. I get that.

The bell in the cafe dings, and if it isn't the girls haunting both of us awake and asleep. They make their way inside, immersed in conversation, both laughing.

The moment my eyes land on her, my heart flutters unprepared, and I gulp, taking a sip of my coffee to calm myself down.

They notice our presence, and Felix gets up from his seat, taking me by surprise, heading towards them. He chats a few moments with them -exchanging pleasantries- and then Sierra nods and they head to the counter together.

An alone-standing Talia, closes in the steps until she occupies the seat in front of me, Felix's previous seat. "Hey" She says casually.

"Hey" I greet back. It's clear as day, the awkwardness-filled silence hangs between us, each trapped in their own thoughts. I clear my throat "So, what coffee do you go for?" An attempt at breaking the silence.

"I umm, I don't drink coffee. Call me crazy but I like tea" She says, biting on her bottom lip, and the blood in my veins flows a bit faster.

"Hmm. Cool. I only drink black coffee" I say and her eyes widen "Brutal" She replies and I laugh.

We continue arguing what's better, coffee vs. tea, when I notice Felix and Sierra thanking the barista behind the counter and making their way outside. Talia takes notice too, and her eyes turn gentle "Do you think they're talking about what they should be talking about?" She wonders and I shrug "One can only hope. They're clearly smitten with each other, it's just a matter of communication at this point" She nods her head agreeing "Well, make sure he doesn't break her heart" She warns and I laugh. I like the way she has her friend's back, even by threatening a guy twice her size.

"What?" She asks when she notices my long stare at her.

"Nothing, you're just cute" I let out and she coughs, clearly startled by the sudden compliment "Shut up" She says and we continue talking about the most trivial things. Talking with her doesn't get boring, she has an opinion on every matter we've discussed and I found myself more drawn to her as the time passes. Strong, beautiful, stubborn.

Time passes by, and I find myself unable to catch up with it, because I blink and then she's out of the door, side by side with her friend. Her sweet smell is replaced by Felix's cologne and I quirk my eyebrow "Well, how'd it go?", he runs his hand through his hair and chuckles "Splendid". I get up and drag him with me back to the apartment, interrogating him about every little word. Every small detail.
He recounts everything they talked about and by the end of it I ask the dreaded question "So you two are dating now, right?"

"Yeah. Be thankful you prick, I just opened you a chance to finally grow the balls and ask Talia out" He confesses proudly and I stop in my place "Excuse me?"

"Oh, like I haven't seen you ogling her the way you do whenever we order Thai food" He jokes and I wince in embarrassment.

"That obvious?"

"That much fucking obvious" He answers and I shake my head while we continue trudging back home.

•••

A/n:
Mmmm