Part XL

Nikaia cried the whole time Jimin left her. She cried for her sister and for her child. She felt like the whole world came crushing around her. She felt hopeless.

“I’m sorry baby, mommy failed you”, she could only hope that the sorceress would not suspect her failure because if she does, she will lose her child.

She quietly questioned herself on why she didn’t kill one of them early on their journey, why did she held back when she had the chance to kill Jin and why did she feels remorse now that her rage had abated?

Simple, the answer was evident from the start, it’s because she knew deep inside that these angels are morally good. She had witnessed first hand, the way they aid those in need disregarding the possible danger to themselves.

They also accepted her as a friend and not as a stranger, and now she betrayed that trust by doing that to Jin. In exchange for her daughter’s life, she was willing to kill and to make matters worst, the unfortunate victim is her child’s father.

Was it worth it?, she asked herself. “No”, she said softly because she knew that if ever she killed Jin, she may have saved her daughter but she will live forever with a wounded heart. That is, if the sorceress will give her daughter back to her.

Pondering to herself, she knows what her fate will be and that is death by the hands of an angel. Maybe by this, she and her daughter will reunite in the after life, and this will also carry her secret to the grave.

Jin will never know the truth. The truth that he is the father of her daughter and the truth that he is the first being who had captured her heart.

Wait, is this true? Do I really have any affection for him?, she deeply thought upon realizing her mind’s truthful words. She eyed the dried blood of the angel on her hand, proof of her attack on him and suddenly feels devastated.

“I’m sorry, Jin. I.....I... didn’t think, I just acted on impulse. I was engulfed by rage on what happened to my sister”, knowing that no one can hear her. She tried to removed the dark crimson on her palm and tears started to fall once again.

Nikaia fell asleep with dried tears on her cheeks. She was oblivious at the angel who entered the hut and watched her from the other side of the glass wall.

Jin is certain he can cut her throat with one swift move, a skill he is a master at, like all of his cousins, but what was stopping him from doing just that? Looking at her, he was now torn between ending her life and protecting her.

He felt Jimin’s wings brushed against his when the younger angel stood beside him, while Hoseok and Jungkook sat on the chairs at the long table nearby.

Jimin looked at the nymph and felt sorry for her.

The eldest angel kept silent and saw her tear-stained cheeks. The pain he felt was not of the wound but it was in his heart. He just couldn’t accept that her hatred overshadowed the emotion he had shown her.

Was I not obvious? Did she not feel the affection I was giving her? Didn’t she see the sparkle in my eyes when I look at her? Didn’t she hear how fast my heart beats whenever she’s near me?, Jin thought to himself as he tried to find a reason to forgive her.

She’s been through a lot, Jimin interrupted his thoughts.

I need to know the truth. What if she’s just making this all up for me not to kill her.

The other angel looked at him with sadness. He can’t blame him as he stares at Jin’s handsome face but is now flawed because of the freshly deep cut on it.

You will regret it.

What if I don’t?

What if you do? Damn it, Jin just tell her.

Tell her what?

That you like her or love her, whatever the case, just be honest with her, Hoseok said and walked to them.

She tried to kill me, in case all of you forgot.

Then, go ahead and end her life, Jungkook stood up and put both his hands inside his pockets as he joined them. Jimin and Hoseok stared at him in disbelief but Jin remained emotionless.

Your silence says it all. You can’t because you love her, the youngest reasoned.

The confusion was crushing him. They were right, he do have feelings for her but still, he needs to know the truth.

Open the door, he demanded at Jimin.

Jin, the blonde-haired angel tried to protest.

You might fry her brain, Hoseok argued.

They are aware of how dangerous Jin’s gift is, especially if he chooses to use it in full capacity. Weak beings succumbed to their deaths and stronger ones lose consciousness for days.

She’s immortal, Jin answered back as if this was enough for her to withstand what he was about to do.

But......., Jimin still tries.

Jimin, she’s not weak. She is now a Guardian of the Crystal.

The three angels fell silent and agreed on this. She now possesses a powerful object and thus, as its Guardian she can absorb some of its power. The crystal had kept Naya to live for sometime and bear the anguish amidst the severity of the torture given to her.

Jimin sighed and placed his right palm at the glass door, “Patentibus”.

The door shimmered for a second and when the light faded, they heard a soft click and the door opened. Jin entered and slowly walked towards the side of the bed.

He half kneeled and moved closer to Nikaia’s sleeping face.

Forgive me for what I’m about to do, the nymph scarcely heard the voice. Not sure if it was just her sleep mind playing tricks on her but then, dreams shouldn’t be as realistic as this, right? Because it feels real when the familiar soft lips touched hers.