Part VI

Valerie stood in front of the shelves. Her eyes wandered at every book on it until it landed on a large leather bound book. She pulled it out and went to a nearby table.

She sat on the chair and stared at the old book. Her hand touched the smooth leather ‘though the rough edges and dust had proven that time passed when it was last used. Her hand then traced the single letter written on the bottom part of the book, the letter V.

It was from her mother. She released a deep sigh and retrieve the letter opener at the drawer on the bottom of the table. She pointed the sharp edge to her index finger and cut herself, just enough to release a small amount of blood. She pressed her finger at the letter and the crimson liquid was automatically absorbed.

“Patentibus”.

The book opened on her command.  She scanned every page and stopped when she saw what she was looking for.

“Denique Animi Memoriam”.    Last Memory of a Soul

A spell about going through the last memory of a dead being. All she needed was something from the being and recalled her sister’s hairbrush that was lying inside the drawer, together with her other stuff.

She opened it once again and retrieved the brush.  A few strands of long hair were still on it and it made her smile, remembering how Valena would brush her hair every minute. She always tease her about it but her sister would just give her a pout. Her childish action would make both of them giggle.

The memory made her heart ache. She wiped the single tear that escaped her eye and returned to the task to be done.

She got the unlit black candle at the right side of the table and moved it in front of her. She then, removed a single piece of Valena’s silky smooth strand of hair from the brush and read the spell aloud.

“Time and memory stolen
To a soul who’s not forgotten
Let me see your last light
Before death took your sight”.

With these words, Valerie closed her eyes and the candle lit itself, but the fire produced was a blue flame. She opened her eyes and put Valena’s strand of hair on it, staring at the sizzling item until it was gone. The air smelled of lavender instead of a burnt hair. It was her sister’s favorite flower.
She once again looked at the flame. The fire was getting bigger but it wasn’t getting hot. Until her eyes adjusted to its light and saw what she had been waiting for. The flame gave her the vision she need.

She noticed the figures slowly forming until she could make out the trees.

Valerie furrowed her brows, “A forest?”.

And then, she saw the familiar physique of her sister. Her long hair and her beautiful dress but what disturb her was Valena’s expression. Fear. Her sister was afraid.

All of a sudden, she saw her sister threw a strong force towards a man with steel wings, this pushed him to a tree and landed unconscious.

“angel”, Valerie asked herself but she couldn’t see his face.
But Valena didn’t expect the other angel with them who had reciprocated her action, an instinct perhaps. It was so powerful that it made her sister’s body felt like a paper when it flew and collided with a trunk of a tree.

“No!”, she screamed with horror.
She could see the blood choked out of her sister’s mouth as she lie dying on the ground. Valena looked up at the sky as if she was looking straight at her. The last thing Valerie saw was the movement of her lips as she called out her name before taking her last breath. The images were gone just as the fire died.

“No!”, she yelled once again and started to cry.

All she could think about was her sister’s lifeless body and her tears continued flowing.

“I promise I will avenge your death. Even if it cost me my last breath”, a vow she made with fury in her heart.

She wiped her tears and recalled her sister’s murderer, but she didn’t saw his face, any of the angels’ faces.

She is sure of one thing. They are angels with powers and if she remembered correctly, her sister had told her about them. The only angels who have extraordinary abilities.

“The offsprings of the archangels”, Valerie said aloud with anger. She started to make a plan.