CH1 - Dilemma

Gabbie's POV

"Why does this have to happen to us?" my mother scowled in distress, still sobbing while holding my father's dead-cold hands.

I stood there still, my hands trembling while trying to submerge into my mind what the doctor has stated a while ago.

"He is now in a state of coma. We are unsure if how this will long or if he will be able to gain consciousness again, but we will try our best."

My tears continue to flow as I tried my best to lift my legs out from my ground and slowly reached out to my mother. Though I am feeling so weak, I must regain my sanity just to provide her strength.

I bended my knees and carried her to stand, she was kneeling for quite a long time pressing my father's hand. "Let's be strong Mom. We can survive this." My voice cracked because I've stayed silent for a long while. I brushed her shoulders to give her hope and thankfully it worked for as long as I could see.

She stood up and glanced at me with her swollen and red eyes. Her hands now holding mine on her shoulders. "Did you call Garry?" she asked. Garry is my younger brother and my only sibling.

"Yes, he has exams so I firmly told him to finish before going here."

"But he might not focus on exams either," she said listless.

I know what happened to our father is such a great deal but I forced him not to neglect his exams because failing his studies would bring us another mishap and also, seeing our father at this state would break his heart into pieces which I won't endure to watch. High schoolers like him still needs guidance for them to truly understand. He would cause ruckus, I am certain, especially to the person who made this situation to happen.

Then suddenly, a sound of the door opening caught our attention and there we saw Mr. Evans together with his men in black suits entering the ward. My forehead furrowed upon discerning his presence. I don't know if it's anger, blame, or sadness that took over my mixed emotions. I just decided to step back a bit and let my mother talk to him.

"I am really really sorry for what happened Mrs. Sanchez," he uttered and bowed to her. "the happenings went too fast and all I could remember was him already lying on the ground for taking the bullet for me." My hands unconsciously formed fists but I managed to make my presence unnoticed. "I am sincerely asking for your forgiveness and acknowledging his loyalty to me and to his work," he spouted and again bended his upper body.

He was the man whom my father worked for in more than 10 years. My father was one of his butlers and almost half of my life, we were hanging on him to survive this uncaring world. Just last night when my father, as the dedicated-to-his-job man he is, took the bullet that was supposed to be shot to Mr. Evans. It was informed to us that the riding-in-tandem was sent by Mr. Evans' long-term enemy in business. But we care less about that. We are losing our father and that's the veracity.

"But I swear I'm not leaving you alone to fight this. I am paying for everything in this hospital, I promise to provide him the best of service," he said full of authority.

"T-Thank you Mr. Evans." My Mom could only utter. After all, we can't blame him for the misfortune. It was my father's job to protect the big man even if that would cost him his life, and our lives who depend on him.

The atmosphere stayed silent for quite some time when unexpectedly, Mr. Evans veered his attention to me while I was silently standing behind my mother. The glance took quite a few seconds before he retrieved, enough to make me notice that he examined me from head to toe.

"Is she your daughter, Mrs. Sanchez?" Even my mother was a little startled when he asked that due to a certain tone of voice that I could not explain either though she managed to get in the zone and answered.

"Yes, Mr. Evans. She is our eldest." Mr. Evans nod to this and then spoke.

"Remember when I said I am acknowledging this great act of your husband towards me. Your family will receive an award as big as my reputation says." My eyes lurched on him but quickly glued it back to the floor. He requested a handshake to my mother that she immediately accepted before he found his way outside the room.

Him, running away from this never crossed my mind in the first place as his name is huge enough that he won't allow any bad rumor to dirt his table. He is one of the country's most successful businessmen and always among the top list of world's richest men. The Evans owned malls, car companies, shoe and clothes brand, and others that I cannot even enumerate or have an idea of. We had been living quite fine since my father works for him but for now, I can't imagine anymore what would happen.

As for him, my father might just be one of his hundreds of guards and dismissing him is no big issue. He might pay for the hospital and medication but my father may not work anymore due to his condition. As the eldest child, I should now think of many possible ways to support my family. And I oath to do anything if not everything for them.

🔸🔸🔸

Thank you very much for choosing to read this story. I promise to give you the best plot with the best of my abilities. This is my very first book published and your support is everything to me.

Love lots 💙