CH4 - Confusion

3rd Person's POV

It was past the setting of the sun and the surrounding is slowly turning dark. Just a while ago when the three best friends separated their way home and Gabbie is now waiting for the bus to come. She silently sat there with her earphones on.

It was tranquil and normal not until a black car stopped in front of her grabbing her attention. The driver then walked out of the car and approached her with his friendly face.

Gabbie took off her earphones to lend the man attention. "Ms. Gabriella Sanchez, our boss invited you to come to a family dinner. Please come with me."

Describing Gabbie as surprised is an understatement right now. She was beyond jolted and did not know how to respond.

"Family dinner? B-But I was not notified about this, Sir." She tried her best to reason out her bewilderment. But the man just smiled at her as if already expecting her reaction.

"I can call our boss right now and let him talk to you," he assured.

Gabbie gathered all her thoughts and finally agreed. She was somehow planning to reach Mr. Evans today to give her answer to the proposal.

'This is now a chance,' she thought to herself and let the man lead the way.

.

For the entire drive, Gabbie did not feel calm one bit. She was feeling cold all over her body and the driver noticed this.

"Relax Ms. Sanchez, the Evans won't eat you alive."

"Ahh, you're scaring me more, Sir!" Gabbie whined and that made the driver laugh shortly. He seems nice that somehow made Gabbie comfortable and safe until they finally reached their destination. The road was quite a maze, there were lots of turns even after entering the compound gate. The car ran further until it stopped in front of the house, or should we say a castle.

"Are we in the Evans' mansion?!" Now she's not any more stable. The house was so huge that you can really compare it to a castle. It was already dark and the lights all over the place—from the gate, garden, fountain, and to the mansion itself—is just beyond astonishing.

"The maids are waiting for you at the entrance. Just follow them, Ma'am." Gabbie was still in awe at what she is witnessing that she didn't notice the car door is already opened for her to get down.

"We have arrived, Ma'am," the driver pulled back the dumbfounded woman and so she was brought back to her senses. "Ah yes yes, t-thank you," is what she could only say and helped herself out of the car.

Her heart is throbbing at an uncontrollable speed and it just got worse when she realized she is wearing the most casual dress this house will ever see in its lifetime.

Could you blame her though? She was totally not expecting this invite. But then who cares? She is here to decline the suggestion of an absurd marriage and then not show herself here anymore, forever. That was the only motivation she held on herself that gave her the courage to finally step inside the house.

"Good evening, Ms. Sanchez!" The maids who lined up horizontally greeted her in their most welcoming faces. They are ten in total not mentioning other servants who did not join and were busy with other tasks. Three of them accompanied her to show direction.

She then passed on to another set of women but this time, they are not maids but stylists and make-up artists. Gabbie, for the hundredth time, was startled again when she saw them picking up clothes for her to try on. This is totally not necessary but what could she do? They will never disobey their master who probably ordered this.

Mr. Evans must have planned this meet-up with Gabbie and his son. Sure, he will give him at least a nice first impression of the girl. Gabbie perceived this setup and just let it happen without causing any more trouble. This will be the last time she'll enter this house, at least that's what she thought.

The make-over lasted for half an hour, the stylists were incredibly fast on their work as if they've mastered this and definitely they do. Gabbie ended up wearing an above-the-knee white dress with glitters on top and a single lace on the right shoulder. It was paired to a three-inch white heel and her hair beautifully curled a little. The overall appearance expresses innocence and purity.

As she examined herself in the mirror, though this is just for one night, Gabbie felt so beautiful. Never in her entire life did she ever wear these great clothes and the respect she had from everyone was so overwhelming. She really became the ordinary poor girl who turned princess in a blink of an eye as her friend Leia described.

They walked Gabbie into a big but empty room except for the round table and two chairs at the center. The entrance is big also as there are two doors for it. The ceiling is also very high and looking up there hangs an extravagant chandelier. Gabbie sat there, waiting.

She patiently sat there for minutes; five, fifteen, twenty, and no one is coming yet. A maid entered and served a two-layer cake and this gave the girl a chance to finally interrogate.

"Uhm, can I ask where is Sir Alejandro? He was the one who invited me to come here tonight." She felt quite awkward to state Mr. Evans' name but she thought it would make it less murky as everyone in this house is Evans.

"You mean Mr. Evans? He is not in the country for two days now," the maid answered a bit confused, too yet Gabbie swore she was more confused right now. Why is Mr. Evans not in the country?!

"B-But he just ordered someone to fetch me and bring me here. I thought we will be having a short talk."

The maid think for a while as she tilted her head to grasp the situation going on.

If he is not here then why am I here? And why did they made effort to welcome me and bring me here to this empty hall? Why is she serving me cake right now?' queries that run into Gabbie's mind.

"Ah I think you're mistaken Ms. Sanchez," she started again and Gabbie's forehead furrowed. The maid continued, "It was not Sir Alejandro but Sir Alexander Evans who invited you," she cleared, her eyes smiling, feeling proud to finally understand the conflict.

But the conflict mixed up even more to Gabbie. The lady continued, "He ordered us to bring you here, dress you nicely, and serve you delicious foods. Actually, he is coming," and at that exact moment, the door opened creating a sound that made Gabbie's heart to sink. She slowly and nervously turned her head to the side where the door is and there she saw a man in his black and white suit, black shiny shoes, and slightly messy-styled hair. He walked towards her and the maid slowly walked out bowing her head to the man and leaving the two alone in that awkwardly huge empty hall.

Gabbie, even how scared she was just a while ago, unconsciously swoon over the newly-arrived.

He is tall, perfectly built body, mesmerizing doe eyes, a sharp nose, thin lips, and a defined jawline. Her mouth agape for a moment but then she forced herself to come back to her senses. She was stunned for a minute.

The man saw this and grinned. He simply sat on the chair facing Gabbie.

"So," that was the first word and Gabbie already flinched. Her eyes made their way again to the man's face. "you're Gabriella Sanchez," he confirmed.

Gabbie just nod and again forced herself to be alert and attentive. "Gabbie. Y-You can call me Gabbie." Thankfully she survived that first sentence.

He moves his head up and down as if nodding but in bigger gestures. "I'm Alexander Cole Evans. People here call me Xander," he plainly uttered.

And his next words literally shut up everything that revolves around Gabbie's mind.

"Let's get married."

🔸🔸🔸

Finally meeting Alexander Evans! I wonder what he is like, what do you think?

💙💙