CH9 - Farewell

3rd Person's POV

It was silent. The physical distance between Gabbie and Kiel is not even a meter apart but the internal barrier felt like a kilometer long. No one is breaking the silence or even planning to at any moment. They both want to savor the relationship that is at the risk to change with the news that Gabbie is very willing to hide forever but about to spill.

It's Saturday morning when Gabbie called Kiel for a meetup and now they are on their favorite bench in a basketball court just a few strides outside Gabbie's house. Leia is not with them and that made it more nerve-wracking for Kiel. 'Something is going on' is what he is thinking the whole time. But what makes that something different is that it should be said in the absence of their other best friend.

"I like you, Kiel."

And that's it.

It was said.

In a very soft and relaxed voice.

Gabbie did not look at him and even veered more when Kiel pointed his stares at her in utter shock.

Gabbie could not hide this forever and she wanted to finish any unnecessary feelings by confessing and then letting go. At least she had the chance to say it even if it's all useless this time.

"Gab.." Kiel unconsciously called her, wanting to engulf what he has heard.

"You heard it right, Kiel," she then lay hold of her peak bravery of making eye contact with him by saying the words again. "I like you, or maybe, I have been liking you since then. I don't know exactly when it started but it was a very long time ago. I am sorry for not voicing it out, I think it's not right that I took advantage of you as my friend when I actually liked you in a different way." Kiel wanted to open his mouth but couldn't since he doesn't know what to say either. Gabbie continued, "But I am more sorry for liking you in the first place when I shouldn't be that's why I never got the guts to say it. I felt that I don't have any rights to. You deserve so much better."

"Gabbie why..." Even before that sentence landed, the girl stopped him because she wanted to say it all at once without getting interrupted. She might lose this courage any time soon.

"Yet I think it's unfair for you if I don't confess before everything ends. And also, unfair for me, too coz I had to keep it forever. I know it's my fault though but just spare this one for me." Finally, she had said it.

Kiel listened and his heart is racing at every word Gabbie says. But out of all those sentences, he got struck up with one thing. "Before everything ends, you said? What was that suppose to mean?"

"I am..I-I am getting married." Even trembling and body freezing cold, she scraped along to unravel the deets.

"What?!" Kiel stood up from the bench and faced Gabbie. "You serious?! You're still a student Gab! Getting married is a serious case and you have to think of that properly. You're just 21!"

Gabbie then stood up too because her best friend is now becoming hysterical. "I know, Kiel. This is the craziest decision I have had in my life but what can I do? My family is suffering so much. I can't even finish college at this state."

"Are they threatening you? Did they scare you that they'll destroy your family if you won't agree? Tell me the truth Gab. We are gonna help you be freed from this. Let's ask for legal counsel."

Gabbie shook her head promptly. "No, it's not like that. And if it is, fighting them with the law would not guarantee us success. You know how big their family is."

"So they are really threatening you," Kiel assumed again but sounded a conclusion.

"No, they didn't. They offered me the marriage politely." Of course that's a lie. But Kiel should never know about that. She has caused them so much trouble already to get them take part for another. She will never let them be involved with these monsters that are ready to take lives easily.

"Then why did you agree?"

"As I told you, this is the only way to save my family. My mother doesn't have any degree. It is very hard for her to find a stable job for two students."

"That is not a problem Gab, what are friends are for? We are here to help you, we will never let you suffer."

"That's the case, Kiel. The more you offer help, the more useless I feel. All my life I've always been saved. Always the one to be protected and helped. I was never brave and I can't afford to trouble you anymore with all these shits going on around me." A tear slid down her cheeks but she shed it away quickly as she looked away. When she faced him again, she saw his eyes. And she doesn't understand herself that she absolutely hated that eyes from him. It screams pity. The love of her life just pitied her.

But the show must go on. "You know getting married to a rich man would benefit me so much and my family. We can now get away from all the insults people threw at us. All inequalities and injustice that we face almost every day will now come to an end."

"You're using that man to get away from your problems? That is not like you, Gab."

"This is me, Kiel. I am human, too. I also have my desires. I may look like a good person all these times but now I'm tired. I am so tired of all these mistreatments. I want to live a good life, too. A life that will throw away all my worries. Is it that too much for me to ask?" She is crying and she doesn't care. She may not mean anything she blabbed just now but it's the only solution that would make him believe that she agreed to this marriage wholeheartedly without getting threatened.

They stared at each other for a while, studying the meaning in each other's eyes. Gabbie tried to hide all the lies she has spurted and Kiel still carry the pity in his eyes.

If only he said he like her, too. If only then, Gabbie would reconsider everything. If only Kiel asked her to stay at that very moment, maybe Gabbie would listen and fought this battle while holding his hand.

"Congrats on your wedding. Please stay in touch," and that's when Gabbie's heart shattered into pieces. Even how heavy it felt, she just nod to it and offered a handshake for the last time.

"Thank you, for everything," she said while tears still filling her eyes.

Kiel took her hand.

"Thank you, too, Gabgab."

Gabbie was the one to let go first before she painted a smeared smile. "I think I have to go home first. Goodbye to you, Kiel. I will see you at school on Monday and maybe you can help me prepare for my wedding," she feigned happiness but her eyes say all the truth.

Kiel smiled. "Sure, we are your best friends after all."

🔸🔸🔸

Do you agree that first love never dies??

💓💓