CH10 - Interest

Xander's POV

I am sitting soundly in my office while my eyes are closed at the present climate. This way is how I savor the lack of responsibilities on me despite sitting as vice president of the Evans Company. I expected this thus far ever since I got appointed just a year ago. My father needs to secure my position now that some relatives are showing interest in our company claiming that I don't fit as the heir. As if they do. That cousin of mine is a dumbass crazy rascal and to saddle this company to a man like him would be the end of our whole business. I won't allow that, never.

Suddenly, someone knocked. It should be Jameson and I was right. He came with the information and materials I needed.

"One day wasn't enough for you to gather these? When did you become this slow?" I scoffed while examining what he got for me this time. I already made him research about this girl when my father talked about that bullshit marriage. But that info was just too little yet enough to make me invite her for a dinner in my house.

"Sorry Xander but that girl was hard to follow. And her information was quite hard to dig, too. You see, I only got that much after two days," he explained. He works under me but he oftentimes addresses me by name since he was a long-time friend before he became an employee here. Actually, his works are a lot harder than mine coz as I've said, me being here is just to secure this seat. But I am not complaining though. I enjoy my days at this office, relaxing and being served all the time.

Jameson put the files and set of recopied pictures on my table. I opened first the file inside the folder. This contains her personal data.

Gabriella Sanchez, 21, 4th-year Film student

One brother named Garry Sanchez, 16, high school

Lost her mother 16 years ago

Father remarried 7 years ago

Father's name, Luis Sanchez, currently in a coma due to head gunshot.

Stepmom, Gwyneth Anderson, a victim of sexual harassment but failed to find the culprit.

Two best friends, one since childhood named Kiel Frederick Wilson and one since high school named Leia David.

There are other details like her achievements in school, hobbies, sports, favorites, and so on and on how Jameson got all that, I don't care anymore for as long as the mission is accomplished. He has been doing this job and I trust him. I paid less attention to those other things since it is not important at the moment. But I can see this girl's family background is interesting.

"You know almost all of that, honestly," Jameson spat but some pictures caught my attention.

The first one captured showed her in a park with her brother sitting there talking pensively. The boy shows bruises.

"The brother is bullied and the teachers seemed to not care. Those bullies come from rich families."

"I see," I replied shortly and takes a look at the next picture.

She's in a bar, having some arguments with random guys as I can apprehend from the photo.

"Her mother worked there to help the family that's currently in crisis. She got harassed and the girl defended her. And guess what? She punched that man who mistreated her mother. She's kinda cool," Jameson elaborated while having that simper on his face. He must have had a thrill out of tailing this girl, huh.

I gave an intense look and that made him shut up. "Do you want to marry her instead?"

"Calm down bro. No one's stealing your girl," he said teasingly and that made me glare at him even more.

"Shut up or I'll stitch your mouth," I spouted with a threatening tone and so he made a gesture zipping his mouth with his index and thumb.

Good.

I moved on to the third picture. It's her going inside the company. My brows furrowed at this. What is she doing here?

"That one. I...I don't really have some details," and that was the most disappointing sentence I've ever heard from him.

"Of all the details, why this? This is a crucial one. Like what is she doing in the company?"

"I only knew she came up to your father and for what reason, only your father knows. It's not like I can spy inside his office. I'm not that brave Xander."

"Call me Sir."

"Sir." I sighed. I'm still miffed though. Is there something going on that I don't know about? Are they plotting something? Ugh, this is frustrating!

I withdrew my hold on the materials causing them to sprawl on my desktop as I faced the glass wall behind my spot. I am on the nineteenth floor and the view outside is quite irk-quenching.

"I have another news for you," he started again. I didn't say anything so he just continued. "Niki got engaged yesterday," and that is quite a news to tell. I remained silent there as I crossed my arms.

"With whom?" is all that I am curious about. She can't replace me with just random guys because that would really destroy my vanity.

"With an Australian politician." I nodded to that. Interesting. Everything I received this day is interesting. But I still clenched my jaw and narrowed my eyes to fix my gaze farther.

"Are you ok with it?" he inquired and so I turned around to see him again.

"Why wouldn't I? It's not like I still care about her."

Jameson chortled. "You do Xander. You can't fool me."

"Oh, have you forgotten who I am? I am Alexander Evans, and I don't chase anyone. If she left me then let her go. I won't give a shit even if she's married already."

Jameson moves his head left and right shooting me sharp looks of pity. "Yeah Xander, you're right. I almost forgot about your damn pride that reaches beyond the skies. Good for Niki for finding someone else than you. You are such a jerk."

"Get out," I gritted with such authority. I held fiery eyes piercing him and I guarantee a ruckus if he won't abide.

"Ok ok I will get lost but--" he was cut off by a sudden buzz on my computer, an email popped on my screen.

Whatever. I shrugged it off. This man would pay someday for his disrespectful treatment of me.

I opened the mail not expecting anything major so the shock made it even appalling after I read the content.

"Fuck my life," I voiced out in disbelief after discerning what my father sent me.

"What is it?" and Jameson is as freaked out as I am though he doesn't know anything about what I'm reading.

"She agreed to the wedding," I said feeling doomed, still my eyes stuck on the message.

"Fuck your life," Jameson said and we both looked at each other with so many words in our eyes.

🔸🔸🔸

Say hello to Jameson, and by the way, who is Niki? 🤔

🧡🧡