CH58 - Capture

Jameson's POV

"Make sure everything is burnished. You hold the program's flow, you understand?" I am now on the technical team, giving final words before the anniversary commences.

The sound engineers nodded to me to manifest assimilation of their job's importance in today's event. I took that as aplomb before I stepped out of the room.

By the door stood five guards who are stolidly attentive to their assigned space. But why are security guards looking so manly these days? This is giving me some treat, you know. Unluckily, it's not in my bag this time. I have some life-death matter on my hands and giving an eye of duty to the one guard standing on my right is one step of the plan.

The guard responded in kind with my unnoticed eyes on him and it tells something around the word trust. He should be taking care of these other bunches of handsome guards upon cued or else I'll be banned in Clyde's bed.

This is it, this is the final show.

Since Xander planned the program, I have also been given the freedom to act on my own. I became the head organizer and that was a huge opportunity for us to scheme the final show. Yet Clyde was not answering my calls and I'm getting anxious but for now, I had to make this work singlehandedly.

After one final glance at all of the technical staff, I paced my way back to the main hall. "Is everything clear here?" I inquired and one employee approached me with his turbulent eyes.

"Sir Nicholson, isn't Sir Evans the one to give an opening speech?" he asked me.

"Yes, that's on the program."

"But he's still not around, Sir. We cannot officially start without him." That information was not on the program I imagined either so it left me forehead-frowned.

"Ok, I'll give him a call, wait a sec." I went out of the brassy hall and dialed Xander's number. He cannot be ruining everything here or else our perfect plan is done, too. I cannot let that happen.

It took him a while to finally pick up his phone, I tried to sound as relaxed as ever. "You cannot be sleeping at one in the afternoon, right?" That was my first line. I heard him chortle from the other line and I was even more annoyed. If I will have to award someone who has caused me the most white hair, it will be this guy.

"Don't be too stressed about it. I will not let my own party be destroyed because of me," he ensured and that was what I was meant about. He should not be the one causing a scene, it should be me, later this day.

"Then that is a relief, Sir. But may I ask, where are you now exactly because the program is starting, the media are all settled, the guests are now waiting, and the podium is vacant."

"I'm here," and by the time he said that, the master of ceremony made his welcome greetings as I went back quickly inside. I roamed my eyes around the misty-looking environment swarmed with shiny-dressed people and saw by the front row Xander wearing his most elegant and intimidating black tuxedo, attentively listening to the man on stage. He looked like someone who is having the most usual anniversary party but I am so thrilled to present him the true show later on.

"To give us the opening speech, let us give a loud applause to the Vice Chairman of Evans Company, and also the future of the business industry. Please welcome, Alexander Cole Evans," the MC announced and the shining crowd complied like morons. Tss.

I was just by the back door, silently observing how the elite holds such ceremony wearing their smiles of satisfaction as if they already own the world. Hearing them shriek like guiltless souls makes me wanna throw up. But I have endured that kind of feeling for the past decade. Controlling my will to cut necks became my challenge at first and now my most achievement.