CH25 - Vacation

3rd Person's POV

The swaying reeds on the roadside are fanning cold air to the inside of the car. They kept the windows open throughout the drive just to lessen the pressure that smother them, particularly Gabbie. She has been silent ever since they pound the pavement. Meanwhile, the man in the driver's seat was constantly receiving calls from people Gabbie doesn't have an idea of. Yet, from the way Xander was addressing them, she perceived them to be close acquaintances.

"Of course! That would be fun! Ok cool. I'm in!" those are a few of his answers to someone on the line. Gabbie does not seem to care and would never ask about it either.

Rule number three of the contract: Don't intervene with my business and personal life.

There were a few more phone calls Xander entertained that eventually gave sound to their quiet journey, at least. It would be so much of an awkward silence if there were none. Gabbie could only sigh.

Not so long after, they finally arrived at the vacation house. The house is obviously owned by the Evans like the villa where the wedding ceremony had commenced. But this place is a bit more private and exclusive in how it is fenced and secured with numerous guards.

They were welcomed in the grandest way that Gabbie could only believe after seeing it real. Upon stopping the car in front of the main door, all the utility workers rushed to get their things from the trunk. Xander got down without even batting an eyelash to Gabbie. The girl also hopped down and helped the maids in carrying their things. Yet, the maids refused even how adamant the woman is.

"Let them be. That's their work," Xander interfered and Gabbie stopped her actions in an instant.

The house was huge, for sure. The interior was dominantly white which made the atmosphere bright. That somehow reduced Gabbie's heavy loads inside.

"Your dinner's ready, young master." A maid approached them with her head down and uttered the sentence most carefully. Seeing this lucid fear gave some discernment to Gabbie that this husband of hers is really a monster who could destroy anyone in a blink of an eye. That makes the people around him very conscious of their actions. Gabbie is not alone in this unexplainable terror albeit that is not something to be celebrated about.

After receiving a short nod from Xander, the maid left at a discreetly fast pace, making sure to avoid any misfortune.

"Let's go," Xander said and led the way to the dining area. For a second, Gabbie was torn between following him or confirming the call first since the man didn't even look at her. But there was no one here so it gave her assurance and did what he said.

They arrived at the dining area. They were welcomed with appetite-boosting foods that made the girl widen her eyes in awe. The road must have starved her so much that she drooled over to the sight of delight.

But of course, she remained the way she should, that is, moving in the perfect way possible just to avoid any mistake. Because of that, her hunger was quenched painfully slow. She touched her food in the most decent way she knows. That was torturing, by the way.

"How was the house my father gave to your family? I heard they moved in yesterday," Xander started and Gabbie almost choked from the pasta.

She cleared her throat and answered, "Y-Yes, it's great," as simple as that but still undelivered straightly.

Xander nodded, "Was that the price of agreeing to this sudden vacation? What else was there?"

Gabbie gulped hard. It's starting to be rough again. "He hired maids to help them and paid my brother's school fees." The girl does not care more about how he would take this, or if she would appear the woman he is believing her to be. Worse luck, that is true anyway.