CH18 - Preparation

3rd Person's POV

The opening of the sliding door breaks off Gwyneth from making some coffee, a glimpse of rejoice embraced her upon seeing Gabbie on the door. They both hugged each other tightly before the visitor who happened to be the patient's daughter walked towards her tranquil father.

She sat on a stool on the side of the bed and raised her father's left hand to press it between her two hands. "Dad, I'm getting married in a week," she almost whispered and a tear fell like a sudden raindrop as she sniveled. Gwyneth paid attention to this and also wailed. The day is finally coming and if there was a tiny bit of hope in them before to get away, there is none anymore.

No one knew the exact date of the wedding before, sure they thought it would be at least months later but Mr. Alejandro is rushing things for a reason they wouldn't know.

Gabbie cried for minutes there burying her face in her father's cold hands. It was like being sentenced to life imprisonment for a crime that was just accused of. And the fact that the cell where she'll rot forever lives a monster that turns wild and untamed in unexpected times makes it even scary. She doesn't know what's waiting for her behind all this fakeness. She prospects to see things clearer after her getting tied up with marriage rings. Maybe everything they've shown is just to allure and lead her inside the maze with no doors out. The smiles of the maids now creeped her out, the coziness of her room now sent her shivers, the bonds with the servants that felt so real now becomes a noise on her ears, and the flatters and flushes that Xander gave her now squirmed her. Which of those are real?

"Tell me what's the matter, honey." Gwyneth gathered valor to stand like a true mother to Gabbie though deep down she knew too well how useless she is for not being able to save her precious daughter from the pit of darkness. She caressed both her shoulders and that's when the poor lady managed to pull back her senses and control her stinging tears.

"I-I am just...overwhelmed, yeah. I'm just...not sinking things," she lied for the thousandth time and does not plan to repent. White lies would not possibly lead her to hell, right? At least that's what she beseeches.

Gwyneth could not do anything at the moment but stand there beside her and be a tree to shade and support. Gabbie heaved a deep sigh and stood up to face her mother and fished something out from her shoulder bag. "Here. You're cordially invited, Mrs. Sanchez, please walk me down the aisle," as she handed a simple but elegantly styled wedding card. She let out a self-comforting laugh. "My father can't do it in this condition."

"I know and of course, I'll be on your side on that day, until forever my daughter." The soon-to-be bride draw a smile but in the deepness of her comprehension, she knew no one will be on her side after the wedding. She'll be alone facing all the upcoming challenges but she needs her heart to be strong, to believe, and to trust that somehow, this sacrifice will fruit her family better lives. She hugged Gwyneth for the last time before she already turned around and walked away without looking back.

.

Days passed and she became busier for the wedding preparations. At least she isn't tied up now and somehow took part in planning the venue, the decorations, and of course in choosing her maid of honor. Leia could not be happier to hear the news as she bragged it all to her other friends and schoolmates. Gabbie did not bat an objection though she doesn't like the idea because her mind is more fearing her future. In fact, this wedding will not be secured privately instead, the Evans family contacted more than ten broadcasting companies all over the world to let them feature the whole event.

Kiel was acting just like always. He does not seem to care but won't argue with it either. He is rather indifferent and that is worrying Gabbie in a way. She doesn't want to disappoint Kiel so much, all she wanted was to be understood without the need to explain. She can accept any form of judgment but for as long as Kiel and Leia will understand, then that's enough. Nevertheless, the situation does not seem to be in that case. Kiel is agonizing in the most subtle way.