CH3 - Decision

Gabbie's POV

The dine was awkwardly silent. We can only hear spoons and plates crashing to each other as we all look down pretending to be attentive to the food yet our minds linger somewhere. And yes, it's the marriage proposal.

Flashback*

"I know this is a bit shocking and I know that your daughter is still in her university years. But please see this offer on its positive side. I know your husband is your support and due to his current state, it's a total loss for your family. I could pay for his hospital bills and needs until he finally recovers but what about your daily needs? Your children's education? I could support you for all those due to my gratefulness for the 10-year service of Mr. Sanchez to me. But to prove you my sincerity, I would want you to be officially part of our family."

"But Mr. Evans, I think marriage is quite too much for us. You know our family's status. We are not from those that could be deserving to be part of your family. And our children are strangers to each other. What if they don't like.." even before my mother could continue, Mr. Evans spoke.

"Don't worry about my son. I am sure he would like your daughter and I am more than sure he would agree to this wedding. And we could make them meet before any preparations. Though I can guarantee, he would be ok with this. I am just unsure about your daughter?" he negotiated as he passed the floor to me to voice out my thoughts. I faltered at the moment and was unable to speak.

End of Flashback*

"So you are saying, Gabbie's gonna be the first lady of the future CEO of the Evans?! That means we will become rich!" For the first time at our silent dinner that someone finally spoke. Garry avidly mouthed with gleaming eyes and still holding his fork.

I sighed, unconsciously loud enough for my mother to hear and understand.

"You don't have to accept it," she raised. "Marriage is a serious matter and we have no right to dictate to you whom you want to marry. Don't be pressured about this."

"B-But Mom, what if...we disappoint Mr. Evans and...h-he would turn his back on us? What about Dad? How could we afford his medication?" I stammered having those thoughts running on my mind this whole time.

"What happened to your father was not your fault and it will never be. Marrying you off looks like you'll pay for what happened, that we sell you to live. I can't do that Gabbie."

I was stunned by what she said. Am I really being sold off? What could be the real intention behind this marriage proposal? Never in my narrow mind that I thought about that until Mom spat it out.

I know as a mother, this is really hard for her. Though she is not my real mother, I never once felt that I was in the wrong care. She married my father seven years ago and Garry was just nine at that time. He grew close to her and treated her as his Mom because he never once experienced having one. Our real mother died when he was born. Gwyneth, our current mother was actually too young for my father. She is just 34 and my father's 46 while I am 21. She could be my big sister, too.

But she is the opposite of what is seen as cliche in dramas like those stepmothers who are always the antagonist. Gwyneth, on the other hand, is so nice, gentle, and pure-hearted who happened to be saved by my father from an abuse and rape when she was 26. She was also an orphan and lived by herself for more than 10 years before marrying my father and settling with our family.

"Come to think of it, you don't even know his son. What if, he is a bad guy? What if he is a criminal, or an addict, or abusive? That is like sending you to live inside a tiger's den. So don't worry, we all have the right to refuse. No need for you to be scared." She seems so concerned right now and that made me happy inside. I actually wanted to take down the offer right after Mr. Evans bid it earlier but I could not open my mouth. I was so afraid of the consequences. I know we don't have that power to go against him.

But my mother's words made me win back my credence to myself. I beamed at her with my teary eyes that screams an apology for not having to help them in this kind of way.

"Thank you, Mom," I said and a tear fell from my eyes. She then stood up from her seat the moment she saw this. She hugged me from the side.

"I am your mother and I know what's best for you. I would do anything to get you away from danger," she uttered and patted my head gently.

Garry on the other hand kept his silence, maybe regretting his useless excitement just a while ago. He instead held my left hand to comfort me. I love my family so much and just like Mom, I would do anything to get them away from danger.

.

The next day in school, the three of us are peacefully eating lunch in the cafeteria when I broke it off with a piece of huge news. Yes, of all the people aside from my family, I want them to know first.

"I was offered a marriage," I said softly as if it was just random information. But the two people beside me literally choked like they heard the strangest news ever. Well, even I, when first heard about it, found it so ghastly.

"M-Ma-Marriage, what?" Leia gave me her wide eyes that could really swallow me whole at how big it is. I chortled giddily but she didn't find even one bit of fun.

"By whom?" Kiel asked. Inside of me was so nervous at how he would react to this. I may be foolish but I was hoping he would show some feeling that is beyond what a friend should express, even just a tiny bit.

"By Mr. Evans," and with that vague answer, their eyes became even bigger if that is still possible. They stared at me intensely and I immediately spilled the tea even before they could ask endless questions. "I mean, Mr. Evans offered me to marry his son. But don't exaggerate, I already decided to refuse."

"But why?" Leia asked back and now it is my time to swallow her with my fervent glare like seriously?!

"I mean hello! Who would want to marry someone she never met?! And I'm still 21 for goodness' sake! Naah!" I shook my head.

"Girl, he is the son of the Evans Company. Imagine being married to him, you'd become what every girl dreams about. An ordinary woman turned princess in a blink of an eye!"

"That's not every woman's dream," Kiel corrected, bringing her back from her reveries.

I faced Kiel as he seems to be thinking of something. He noticed me looking so he just shrugged off the hesitation and asked whatever it is. "You said you decided to refuse. So that means, you haven't refused to him yet?"

"As of this moment, not yet. But I am planning to after today's lectures." I smiled at him. He nodded and I saw his sigh of relief. I don't know but I felt tingles at that. Maybe I am just a crazy admirer who interprets anything in the wrong way. In a way that would make me hopeful.

Will I ever have the courage to confess to him in this lifetime?

🔸🔸🔸

Thank you so much for showing interest in this story. I was actually so intrigued with this one and just enjoyed myself writing. I hope you'll join me til the end.

💖💖