Chapter 3

Chapter 3

“Well it definitely is strang.” the optometrist said as he pointed a light into Erika’s right eye as the pupil receded into a small black dot. “And you’re saying this appeared yesterday afternoon?”

“Yes. And I can’t figure out why it’s affecting my iris, it’s not affecting my other eye or the rest of my right eye.” She said as the man headed back over to the desk and typed on his computer. The man’s expression was pure bafflement, he had no idea what the cause could be, she could see it clearly in his eye. “Do you have any idea of what it might mean?”

He was quite for a long moment. “We’ll do some tests first before we come to any kind of conclusion alright?”

The answer was clear, he didn’t know. “Alright…”

Alison and Sherrie sat outside in the optometrist’s office patently waiting for Erika to come out, having a single empty chair in between them, Alison gave a quick glance to Sherrie, the woman looked so different in comparison to her, the woman was tall with curves, while she was five foot two and nearly flat. Not to mention at how different they’re families were in comparison too. Yet this top league woman was friends with both of them, at times Alison had a hard time believing it.

She quickly glanced away when Sherrie looked at her. “Uh… so…” she stared, unsure of what to say in this kind of moment. “How’s life?”

“Life…? Oh, um, pretty good I guess.” she paused. “What about you?”

“Oh it’s alright, though my parents are being off putting as normal so…”

“Really?”

“…yeah…”

“Hmmm, I suppose all parents can be off putting at times, I know mine tend to be like that.”

“You’re parents always seem busy.”

“So do yours.”

Both soon became silent, not sure what else to say, Erika was like a bridge to the group a times, able to brake the awkward silence that happened between the two girls. Sherrie drummed her fingers on the top of her other hand while looking at a bulletin board about getting glasses, while Alison shuffled her feet on the floor and glancing to the clock.

What the heck do I say…? Both thought while looking away from each other.

“So…” Sherrie began. “How’s you’re writing coming along? I’ve seen some of your works on that website, and it’s doing really well.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah, I’m sure if you wanted you can become a novelist.”

“Not if my parents keep breathing down my neck about doing what they want me to do.”

Sherrie frowned slightly. “And what is it that they want you to do?”

Alison groaned. “A mathematician.”

“But aren’t you really bad at that subject?”

“Try telling them that.” She groaned before shaking her head. “I just wish that they would listen to what I have to say, just once in my life I’d like for them to hear what I want and not shoot it down like it’s dirt. I don’t even want to go to university. Speaking of that, do you already know?”